+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you afford to be a SAHM?

Can you suggest any money saving tips for Sahm/d's ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unsubscribe from all online shopping sites!!! I was wasting sooooo much money. When I need something, then I'll search for it. Not when I get sparkly new emails about awesome discounts and baby clothing must-haves. I was way to easy to suck in.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Whitman For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (14-08-2014),btmacxxx  (02-01-2015),GingerKat  (25-10-2014),Mamasupial  (06-11-2014),Mummy5ormore  (24-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bulk meals up with vegies so they last a couple of nights (depends on how big your family is of course).
    We cut back our meat intake significantly, making lots more vegetarian meals with chick peas/beans/lentils for protein. I'd stock up on them when they were $1 a can.
    Make snacks from scratch instead of buying.
    Leave the car at home. Try and plan for close to home activities so you can walk there with kids in the pram/balance bike/trike.
    Look for free activities in your local area - library story time etc.
    Pack food for when you're going to be out, and drinks...and send hubby to work with a packed lunch.
    Avoid the shops and online shopping.
    I still do this, but when it comes to your kids needing new clothes write down exactly what each child needs before you go shopping. That way you don't buy an excessive amount of clothes that won't be worn.
    We moved to a smaller and cheaper house but I know that's not possible for everyone.
    That's all I can think of for now.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (02-01-2015),debsch  (10-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Buy second-hand things (clothes etc.)
    Meal plan with what's on special at the supermarkets
    Write up a strict budget and stick to it
    Use home brand nappies during the day
    Cancel foxtel if you have it
    Turn off appliances at wall at night

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been a SAHM for almost 1 year. We have 4 kids and I have not worked since my last contract ended.

Always meal plan. Not only does it save money but it also solves the problem of "what's for dinner" (The first question my 11 yr old Ds1 asks when picked up from school!)

Make sure you are getting the best deal for your Insurance, Phones and Internet.

Stay away from consumer debt.

Hit the end of season sales for clothes/shoes in the next size up. I have picked up shirts and shorts for as little as $1 and shoes from $2. I am talking good quality stuff. The closer to the next season the cheaper they get! My Boys are very well dressed

We still do things like going to the Movies, Zoo's, Play centres and Restaurants etc but keep and eye out for deals as they come up (For example: I recently purchased entry including lunch and a drink to a Play centre for $10 each. That was a saving of almost $50 for us with 4 kids and was a great outing)

Always shop around. Check the stores, online and eBay. When we bought our lounge we had looked at one we liked at IKEA and it was $1700. In my research to see if I could find anything similar for cheaper I came across the EXACT lounge on EBay for $500. It was almost new and they were moving to an inner city apartment and it wouldn't fit! Win for us, saving $1200. We recently replaced our fridge. Found the one we liked, looked around and got it ex display with full warranty in perfect condition for $500 off.

I am am know for being a bargain hunter, it has become a bit of a hobby

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Beljane For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I don't anything different. I have been a sahm for 20 years
    I think you can have most thing if you budget for them. Prioritize what you want most.
    Check your getting the best deal on your goods and services.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (14-08-2014),SoThisIsLove  (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    There's all the usual money saving things like meal plan, shop at aldi or buy homebrand, switch appliances off, don't use the dryer and use dishwasher/ washing machine only at off peak times, use vouchers off the back of shopping dockets and shop around for better deals and discount codes.

With regards specifically to being a SAHM these are the things I do - my DD doesn't do any activities that cost money, we go to the library for free story time and to the park a lot, apart from that I do activities with her at home instead. For example instead of paying for swimming lessons I take her to a friends pool and play with her in there to get her used to the water, also instead of things like gymboree I just ensure we do a lot of physical things outside like rolling around, dancing, little obstacle courses or home made ball pits.

I have a few friends with young children and we share toys and clothes a lot which really helps as toys in particular can be expensive and kids get sick of them so quickly, so we share around to reduce the cost.

I think the main thing is I've really had to learn to sacrifice. I very rarely buy anything for myself. I haven't bought new clothes or make up/ accessories in ages. I go to a cheaper hairdresser and I go much less frequently. I do my own waxing at home. I very rarely go out for coffees or dinners with my friends, instead I'll invite them to my place. I never look 'on-trend' anymore, I have a standard jeans/tshirt/sneakers uniform and I've learnt to be fine with that regardless of what anyone else thinks. It is difficult and there are times when you feel depressed about how much you have to downsize but when that happens I just remind myself that it's not forever and it's my choice to stay home because it fits in with my personal parenting philosophy.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (01-01-2015),mrsboyts  (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We rent and had no debts prior to me getting pregnant. Our sacrifice is that we cannot afford to buy our own home ( we live in Sydney, who can?? Lol)