+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Liverpool Public Birth/Maternity Reviews PLEASE HELP

Hi all,

Im in desperate need of some recent reviews ASAP about Liverpool Public Birthing/Maternity Ward.

I am 10 weeks & was all set & ready to book at liverpool private (sydney south west private) but my OBGYN (Dr Fulcher) has thrown me abit of a curve ball & said I HAVE to go to liverpool public as Im very high risk & they are the only ones who are capable of looking after me in an emergency.

Im happy to go wherever he thinks is best for me & bubs but Im struggling to wrap my head around it as I had done so much research on SSWP and was happy with them and very happy to have a private room where hubby can stay with me etc.

Does anyone have any experience of delivering at Liverpool Public as a public or private patient (I will be private) and what the maternity ward is like afterwards?

Thankyou in advance!

( i know there are other posts re: liverpool but they are all a few years old & was hoping for some updated reviews as I believe there have been a few changes recently)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my bub at Liverpool Public 3 months ago and would go there again . I was a private patient too and was very happy with the care I received.

The birthing rooms have their own ensuites with corner baths. Great if you want to sit in the tub for pain relief or have a waterbirth. Book in for the parenting classes & tour once you hit 20wks.

The chairs for your birth partner/support person are the hard plastic ones, so bring a cushion for them. There are a couple of recliner armchairs, but they get rotated around.

They supply fitball, heat pack, bean bag and encourage active birth. The midwives were all so nice.

I was induced and had an epidural. As a private patient, they let me have the epi straight away. (My friend who was public had to try gas & pethidine first, then got epi as last resort). The anaesthetist I had was fantastic.

We were kept in Delivery the first night (baby was born 10.23pm). DH was allowed to stay with me that night, but he couldn't after I moved down to maternity ward.

The ward is mostly twin share rooms and they all have ensuites. TV is included for private patients, so don't pay extra for that.

Meals are served in a central room. You walk there, get a tray of food and walk back (to encourage movement). Only post c/s ladies get meals brought to their bedside. The food was decent.

You only have 15-20mins to go get your food. A lady walks up & down ringing a bell at the start of the meal period to alert everyone.

They provide singlets, gowns, nappies, and blankets for baby. You have to ask for more nappies but the rest you can help yourself from a linen cart or the nursery. You'll need your own wipes.

Bub stays with you the whole time and you do all the baby care. The first bath is done with a nurse so you can watch & learn (if you're a first time mum).

It's very noisy at night. If your own bub isn't keeping you awake, other babies will! Pack a blindfold and try to sleep in the day when bub is asleep (newborns sleep nearly all day). Co-sleeping is not allowed so you need to be properly awake for the very frequent night feeds.

The nurses were very nice and helpful. You'll need to keep track of bubs feeds and wet/dirty nappies for the first 48hrs as they ask every time they check you. They are very pro-BF and have lactation consultants on duty. If you want to bottle feed from the start, you have to BYO formula & bottles. If you're having trouble with BF, they can supply bottles after you sign some paperwork.

My only complaint was that on the sat morning I was there, they disconnected non-critical electricity for maintenance. I couldn't charge my phone so lucky I had some battery life left as I needed to use it as a torch in the bathroom!

Is there anything I haven't covered that you'd like to know?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (27-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you SO much!! @SimpsonDesert

Yes I am a first time mum (can you tell from the anxious post haha)

You've made me feel so much better about it all!

I wouldn't be too worried about hubby not being able to stay except that I am disabled & don't know how I will be physically after birth (hopefuly VB) and was hoping I would have him there to help out with bubs, as I had heard the midwives tend to just leave you to your own devices & care for bubs and don't give much help besides for teaching you thinks like BF & Bath etc.

Do you know if they are helpful with baby or if they just let mum manage?
    I should be fine but its such an unknown as to how my body will handle labour & delivery it stresses me abit!

My OBGYN did say If I was worried I may be able to transfer from Public to Private after I have delivered so hubby can stay etc. Might have to look into that more!

Do you know if there are any single rooms on the ward? Im assuming its a first in best dressed scenario even if you are a private patient?

Do you know what the visiting hours are for hubby & if they are different to general visiting hours?

Sorry for all the questions!! & THANKYOU again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No worries, ask away. All the ladies in my mother's group had their bubs at Liverpool too and were happy with it.

The midwives do leave you to your own devices if they can see you are coping well. They definitely help where required. The lady next to me had emergency c/s and was having a tough time recovering. She was bedridden, so the nurses were helping her with everything, including looking after bub when her husband wasn't there. I'm sure they will cater to your needs.

Yes there are single rooms. I was self funded (no private health insurance) and didn't think it was worth the extra $$ for such a short stay. It was $1800 for 3 nights in a single room vs $900 for twin share.

Hubby can stay 9am-9pm. Other visitors 10am-8pm. There is a 4 people limit at one time but it isn't strictly enforced.

Not sure if hubby can stay overnight in a single room, I never asked. In hindsight, I'd probably pay the extra if he could sleep over. It was hard watching him leave at night and having no help with settling bub after night feeds. It was also sad for him coming home to an empty house.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (27-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to know! There are so many horror stories out there about every hospital its hard to feel confident going anywhere.

Thanks heaps. its very comforting to know they will help if I need it. I certainly dont want to rely on them but I may have to for the first few hours atleast.

Im pretty sure my health fund will cover a single room so it probably just depends if any are available. Might have to hide hubby under the bed so he can stay haha

Thank you for everything!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleLove For This Useful Post:

SimpsonDesert  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're very welcome . Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and the birth.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

PurpleLove  (15-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    SimpsonDesert.... I'm so glad that I stumbled across these postings of yours. It absolutely answers all my questions between making a decision between Liverpool Private or Public. I need to check my PHI and see exactly what it does and doesn't cover, but my biggest thing is that I would like a private room.

PurpleLove... I'll be following now to see your tips about the hospitals. Good luck - not long to go for you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MGC Bertie For This Useful Post:

SimpsonDesert  (27-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it helps I've been admitted to Liverpool public about 10 times in the past few weeks with a lot of issues & complications & even had surgery. The antenatal/maternity wards have been absolutely fantastic. All the midwives are so lovely & have been a huge support for my DF & I through all the stress.
    I've had a private room each time & they even drag a trolley bed in for my mum to nap on through the day (she's been sick too)
    So far I'm very happy with them & absolutely LOVE Dr fulcher. He has honestly saved my babies life.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    PurpleLove.... I guess maybe that makes a difference, and I just reread your opening post about the Dr insisting you go there due to emergencies, so maybe it's really going to depend on what the ob says. Not that I've choosen one yet, still researching them, and plan to phone a few on Monday to get costings and feelings on what they're like. I've read some good reviews of Dr Fulcher, but also a bad one where he was sued as he forgot to order a preg test on a lady before he did some procedures on her. But it sounds like he's helped you through some tough times recently?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think private is nicer facility wise by what I've heard. Its newer & fancier & your partner can stay etc but a few of my family & friends who birthed there have said they struggled with rude midwives & lack of compassion both when birthing & recovering.

I can't speak for anyone else but I would recommend Dr fulcher 100 x over. He is kind & compassionate. Takes the time to explain everything to you. Very pro active when there's an issue & incredibly intelligent but still talks to you in a way you can understand. I would have lost my baby due to cervical incompetence & premature labor if not for the fact he was so proactive & acted instantly to try to save the baby (even when other doctors wouldn't as baby wasn't viable yet)

I'm now 29 weeks and still holding on (even though bub is fully engaged) thanks to the emergency surgery at 25 weeks + all of the medication he organized.
    My cousin had him for a low risk pregnancy & swears by him too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleLove For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (27-12-2014)