+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyfamily View Post
    I am a single mum with 6 kids still at home and I receive letters after inspections thanking me for taking such good care of the property. The owner of my house fixes nothing at all. ever. You also may find the tenants were not allowed to fix anything . I am not allowed. If there is something that needs fixing I must contact the agent and if I fix it myself and the owner feels it isn't ok I will need to pay him compensation. Tennants find it just as hard to find a decent owner who looks after good tenants. I have a great record for renting so its not all bad.
    Its a shame not all owners are told what we are told about not fixing things our self as this may have given you more understanding also.
    Oh I know there are good tenants out there - we were one for a very long time, but we have not been lucky enough to have one yet. We have just had very bad luck - and the agents themselves admit this to us. It could be worse - she pays her rent on time at least. But She just doesn't care for the property. We went to do maintenance one day and she let us in after saying she just finished tidying the place for us and it looked like a bomb had hit it.... Old food in the oven, broken cupboard doors, scratches all over the floor boards and her child had drawn all over the walls..... It just gets me down because this was our first home. We lived in there and had our first child there. It breaks my heart to see it this way. DH refuses to sell though..... I hope we get good tenants one day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sub

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My financial advisor said to me to always keep a house that's not losing money instead of selling - if you can afford it.
    He also said if I was to rent, i'd need about 3 months worth of costs (mortgage payments, maintenance etc) up my sleeve just in case tenants stop paying, there's a gap between tenants etc.
    But also - landlord insurance is essential.
    Maybe chat to an agent, see what your home could be rented for and then decide. Especially if where you are planning on moving to has a house included.

Other posters are right - tenants generally won't care for your home the same way you would and I believe it's easier to not be emotionally attached if you purchase a property with the specific intent of renting it out compared with your family home that you then decide to rent out. But only you will know your attachment levels to the house and if you could stand others living in it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We rent out our house and so far its been great. We are neg geared so got a great tax return. Make sure you pick a good agent and really screen the tenents before approving them will help to ensure they respect your home. Like the above said make sure you get insurance and ill sure you will be fine

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We rented out our home for approx. 18 months and then moved back in. Overall the experience wasn't so bad, the tenant we got was pretty good and did a decent job of looking after the property. However, he was a single guy that worked in the mines, so he wasn't really in the house all that much (which I liked - less wear and tear!). The house needed a really good clean when we came back in, he had done the basic wipedowns but hadn't actually really cleaned properly when we got the place back, this took quite a lot of my own time as the agent thought it was clean enough but at least it was done to my standard I suppose.

We had more trouble with the agent - they took ages to get a tenant in after telling us it wouldn't take more than 2 weeks and they had people on the books interested (was over 6 weeks), they took over a fortnight just to get it advertised (when telling us it would be a few days) and then they advertised our property incorrectly, they then overstated the amount we could get in rent which turned people off and I had to tell them more than once to drop the rent so we could get a tenant in ASAP - they kept arguing the point with me which was frustrating. They didn't give us inspection reports until a couple of weeks after I requested them so I am suspicious they didn't actually do them when they were supposed to and I kept catching them out on it (reports were always over a month late). Rent wise we were paid on time but the amounts we were paid varied enormously and we never worked out their stupid accounts system.

I found the tenant side ok, but the agency was a nightmare. My mum is with a different agent and has had even more trouble - her tenants literally never pay their rent on time, which means the agent won't pay my mum, and then they don't follow up with the tenants about why their rent is unpaid/always late. It's infuriating for her because she often misses more than one payment in a row because they can't be bothered doing the awkward work of getting the rent paid when it's meant to be.

Sorry for such a long reply! I guess my advice is be very very careful about any agency you go with and try and get personal recommendations rather than just use anyone.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The only other thing I'll add to the conversation is that IMO you should never ever become a landlord if you don't take the time to educate yourself on both the tenant and landlord rights and responsibilities.
    In my experience (tenant advocate) too often landlord expectation with regard to wear and tear, depreciation and cleanliness don't match the expectations of the relevant state legislation.
    E.g in Victoria a tenant only has to leave the premises 'reasonably clean' this doesn't mean spotless or even ready to rent to someone else. Also in Vic, a tenant can be late paying rent each and every week and there's nothing that can be done until they're at least 14 days behind at the time of serving notice. Incredibly frustrating for the landlord who rented their home out with the best of intentions.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Crazyfamily  (18-08-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (16-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    With agents, don't be afraid to change agents if you are not happy with their service, most agreements state the required notice to terminate their agreement ( usually 60 days - you just give them notice in writing - the new agent can organise this) it's no stress to the tenant, the new agent just will have to do an initial inspection, you own your lease/inspection reports and trust account ledgers so they all get handed over to the new agent - also when interviewing agents ask for their arrears policy, inspection policy and ask to see copies of their reports to see how thorough they are

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by firsttimemum34 View Post
    The only other thing I'll add to the conversation is that IMO you should never ever become a landlord if you don't take the time to educate yourself on both the tenant and landlord rights and responsibilities.
    In my experience (tenant advocate) too often landlord expectation with regard to wear and tear, depreciation and cleanliness don't match the expectations of the relevant state legislation.
    E.g in Victoria a tenant only has to leave the premises 'reasonably clean' this doesn't mean spotless or even ready to rent to someone else. Also in Vic, a tenant can be late paying rent each and every week and there's nothing that can be done until they're at least 14 days behind at the time of serving notice. Incredibly frustrating for the landlord who rented their home out with the best of intentions.
    Wow I'm in vic & I've rented 5 different properties now. If I've ever been a date late I'd get asked when the money would be in, as for the 'reasonably clean' part is a crock, they expect you to leave the place like a display home! One mark on the floor or window etc your asked to come back and clean it off ,even if it wasn't there when you left & they've had people through looking at your home before doing the condition report after keys are handed over! Any who I've had both ****ty landlords who won't put a cent towards repairs & great ones! I'd like to consider myself a great tenant, I keep the house as I would if I owned the house , but I'm house proud like that. If you want the house to be maintained well you've got to put the money in for upkeep when things need fixing too, tenants don't have the legal right to. If you rent out your home you've got to detach the " home" part & remember it's just a " house" now because it's now someone else's "home". Good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

Crazyfamily  (18-08-2014)