+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4yr old scared of closing eyes

Hi all,
    Hoping for some advice. For about the last week and a half my DD keeps saying she is scared to close her eyes at bedtime. It has been taking hours for her to eventually go to sleep.
    I have tried asking her why she is scared but she just says it's scary and gets upset.
    I'm not sure what to do, tonight she got so upset that I had to sit with her until she fell asleep but I don't want to make a habit of that when I have another bub on the way.

Has anyone experienced this with their child? What can I do to help her see that it's not scary?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you tried leaving a light on? Maybe she's watched something recently that made her feel scared?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes she has a night light and we also leave the hallway light on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have tried asking if she has seen something scary but she won't say.
    I feel so bad for her, I don't know how to help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gave you the wrong advice apparently.
    Last edited by Mrs Tickle; 17-08-2014 at 20:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4 year old dd went through that a while ago and she still says it sometimes. Her problem was that when she closes her eyes it's dark and she didn't want to be in the dark. Dh and I just kept reassuring her and made sure she had a night light on . We would talk about all the things were going to do the next day, made shadow puppets on the walls to help her get used to the dark, and just helped her through that way. She still says it every now and then bit I think it's more of a way to avoid bed time. I wouldn't take her to a doctor for that op, I'm sure she will get through it with a bit of help from you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is an age appropriate fear so i'd be saying at night 'that's ok, just rest you don't have to close your eyes if that worries you.' Then I would be sitting with her during the day practicing closing her eyes, asking her what she sees, hears, feels. Is she scared now? What's making her scared? What's the difference between at night and in the day? You have to kind of get the kids to collect their own evidence for their worries. That way they can work out how they can deal with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 5yo used to say this, I would tell him that he doesn't need to close his eyes, just to lay there quietly, they will still go to sleep.
    My 3yo has started to say it too, I don't really know where these fears come from. My kids are also terrified when they're in bed and they hear the dogs next door barking- although I must say they are big scary dogs and it does sound like they're right outside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, we have tried telling her that she doesn't have to close her eyes if she doesn't want to and to just lay down quietly in her bed. She must get bored of this though because she is up again 5 mins later and playing with her teddies.

I will try the suggestions of getting her to practice closing her eyes during the day today and tell me how she feels, what she can see ect..