+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Vaccinations for Fiji?

Just wondering for those who have been on a family holiday to Fiji, did you get yourself and your kids vaccinated? GP told me that typhoid and hep a are recommended. I'm already vaccinated for hep a, and I was due another vaccination today so decided to get the typhoid while I was there. But then the nurse was saying she never got her family done when she went as they really only spent time at the resort, no street food etc, which is my plans as well. She said the resorts are fairly low risk. But now seeing as I'm done I'd probably feel guilty if I didn't get the kids done! But then there is the expense of x6 vaccinations as well...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, we've been to Fiji 4 times now with children ranging from 10 months to 5, and none of us have ever been vaccinated or had any issues. Like you we only ever stayed in the resort, never ate street food or went into the jungle. We have always been just fine, I wouldn't worry! Have a ball!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I have taken my son to Fiji 3 times and last time was 7.5 months pregnant with dd. I stay at resorts but go eating in local restaurants too. I've never vaxxed or had issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in travel medicine, and Hep A is def recommended for Fiji. Typhoid is probably less necessary if you are staying/eating in hotels.
    Hep A is a very easily transmitted disease, usually due to poor hygiene (ie you eat food contaminated by an infected carrier), and is at very high levels in developing countries. It is very difficult to avoid even in hotels as you don't know how your food is prepared.
    It is a relatively inexpensive vax, usually you would have your 1st vax for a trip and a booster 6-12mths later for lifetime immunity.

I have recently vaxed my 3 kids for a trip to Bali...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for that info kaybaby. I have decided to get the hep a for them. Hep a occurs in Australia anyway so it wouldn't be a bad idea.
    I'm undecided still about the typhoid. We're not going anywhere near the little villages so I just don't think it'll be necessary. I do still worry though. Also the typhoid vaccine has really made me feel like sh*t since I had it... :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been to Fiji 3 times with my kids and never vaxxed. We've always stayed at resorts but have also eaten at restaurants away from the resort.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app