+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spinoff * What do your children teach you?

Inspired by another thread, it got me thinking about things your children do that make you stop and think about life in general. They're always looking for the beauty in things and enjoying life's little treats. I think we're all guilty of rushing through stages of life or concerned about this or that but at the end of the day (and at the end of our time), does it really matter?

For example, when I'm feeling flustered or cranky my dd2 (15months) will always climb on my lap or beg me to pick her up, stare in my eyes and say "mummy?" Before giving me a great big open mouthed kiss. It's like she's saying "it's ok mummy, it doesn't matter". It is a sure fired guaranteed way to get me to stop and look at the big picture. Who cares if we're 2 minutes late getting out the door? It's not that big of a deal.

I'm not very good at explaining myself in writing, sorry if it doesn't make sense lol....

Sent from my iPad using The Bub Hub mobile app

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    besides teaching me that my patience is indeed NOT unlimited

she does teach me to appreciate life.

To do and think about the things that are important, and to try not to sweat the small stuff (she sweats the small stuff to an 'nth' degree, so trying to teach her to look at the bigger picture makes me realise how much I need to do that in my own life too)

To make friends ... I am a little bit introverted at times, and watching her make new friends teaches me that if you approach people and start a conversation, that friendships develop.

Its amazing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    How to eat my words..

On:

toilet training

Sleeping/ co-sleeping

Dummies and bottles

Behaviour and discipline

Formula feeding vs breastfeeding (and why some people formula feed)

And plenty more..

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (13-08-2014),IvyRain  (13-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    My son constantly teaches me to keep chugging along and keep trying at goals even if they come easy to other people.

My daughter reminds me that it is more then ok to not be friends with people who don't live up to your personal standards.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    wait you mean she taught you that when you said My child will never ....."still be in nappies at 3, have a tantrum, misbehave in public while I ignore them, sleep in my bed, have a dummy ... *insert endless other pre-child philisophy* ..... that you didnt stick to that?

tsk tsk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (13-08-2014)

SuperGranny is online now Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    im a grandma , I have been taught by my own children, and now by my grandchildren, I could write a book about all the things I have been taught, and shown, and I am thankful for it all. sometimes I get to teach them too. and I love that as well. marie

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (14-08-2014),My Beloved Ones  (13-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because of DD I am much better at standing up for myself and not getting pushed into things I really don't want to do. I am no longer swayed on the things that are truly important to me. I'm not just standing up for me anymore, it's for her as well.

Also to have no expectations of how things will go. It's never as you expect with children.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (13-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    wait you mean she taught you that when you said My child will never ....."still be in nappies at 3, have a tantrum, misbehave in public while I ignore them, sleep in my bed, have a dummy ... *insert endless other pre-child philisophy* ..... that you didnt stick to that?

tsk tsk

Pretty much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    That miracles do happen.
    That sometimes the wait is worth it
    Patience - I always seem to be doing a million things and she is great at reminding me to slow down and enjoy things

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Whenever DS starts to get cranky I say take a deep breath , which he does , I've been saying this since he was about 2 and whenever I get stressed over work or am cranky for whatever reason or even if I yell at the dog DS says "mum take a deep breath" and I do and it works - we forget sometimes to practice what we preach !

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (13-08-2014)