+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was enduced with ds1 and had an epidural. Completely numbed me in the vaginal area. I couldn't feel when to push. Ended up have failed suction twice then a forcep delivery and an episiotomy (I chose episiotomy over tearing) after a 33 hour painful long labour. No issues for bub with the forcep delivery and I healed really well after the episiotomy, was not in too much discomfort for very long at all.

I was enduced with ds2 and had the epidural again. This time I was numb from the thighs down and couldn't feel my legs for hours afterwards which was an aweful experience. I had a quick easy 4 hour labour, at least this time I could feel when to push!

My ob said my body obviously doesn't block the pain which is why the epidurals were not affective. I'm due to have ds3 in a few weeks. My ob is seeking the advice of the top anaesthesiast to get his opinion and perhaps try a different method re the epidural this time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    3 epi births. 3 great experiences.

3rd one was by far the best, anaesthetist was amazing. Came back numerous times to check on me. Gave me only enough juice to mask the pain but not enough that I was completely numb. So I felt everything but nothing was painful.
    My experience was exactly like this when I had my bub 3 months ago. The epidural was brilliant and I could have kissed the anaesthetist! I was on my feet very quickly after DDs birth and had no numbness at all. I was induced (synto drip) and after getting the epidural I dilated from 2 to 9cm in 4hrs. I felt the sensation of the contractions but they were totally pain free.

I did need a forceps delivery with episiotomy, but that was because DD had passed meconium and OB had to get her out quick.

I hope you have a wonderful birth

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tubster View Post
    First birth with epi, horrible.
    Took the pain away which was great, but it didn't work at first then it was slowing down the contractions, lead to almost urgent c section, then couldn't feel the push and was a long pushing stage, had to use forceps and big cut and tear, third degree, long recovery period.
    Second birth, I requested epi, refused by midwife, have me a shot of morphine and it was painful but totally manageable.
    Much more pleasant birth for me
    I'm glad your second birth ended up for the best but why did the mid refuse an epi?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Ive had an epidural twice, first one was after induction, been in labour for 8 houts of contractions 2 mins apart. Glad I had it but it only worked on one side so they topped it up then I couldnt feel to push. DS1 took an hour of intense pushing to come out but I did it without assistance and he actually came out with his hand in his mouth.

DS2 I had been in labour for over 24 hours and had an abruption. I finally got an epidural and they placed it wrong (apparently went into a blood vessel or something) and they ended up giving me a spinal block in the meantime? This led to me requiring oxygen and being numb from the shoulders down, unable to move my arms at all. But by the time DS2 was ready to be born after 32 hours he came out in 3 pushes, evem though he was posterior brow presentation.

DS3 I asked for an epidural. They were halfway through placing the needle in my back when I yelled at them to stop because he was coming out now. He was born 4 minutes later, an hour and a half since they checked and I was 3cm. Still kind of wish I had the epidural, the pain was excruciating hahs

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've had two VBs both with epidurals and the only other intervention was an episiotomy (because I told the doctor I would prefer a cut to a tear). I could feel the pressure of contractions, but not the pain, it was amazing. I had no trouble pushing.

Cheers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-xkwzit For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had an epi after around 20 hours of a very slow but exhausting labour, only had a small amount administered so I could still feel everything, it just took the edge off the pain. By he time I got to pushing stage it had worn off and I pushed DD out with only a few pushes, I did need an episiotomy and vacuum as she ended up getting stuck but that would have happened with or without the epi, I was up and moving around soon after and had a very fast recovery.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I attempted VBAC with my second bub (1st was emerg c-sect without any labour), but she was posterior so I was only 4cm dilated and in so much pain I couldn't even walk or stand up. The epidural was great for taking away the pain, but meant that I was on the bed with monitors on, and DH and I were obsessed with watching the baby's hr after what had happened with DS (I believe I was very fortunate he wasn't stillborn), so 12 hours later and still at 4cm dilated I opted not to have syntocin (was worried about c-section scar rupture) and had a c-section.
    I think if she wasn't posterior and I wasn't so paranoid about something going wrong I might have avoided the c-section.
    Going for planned c-section this time.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wanted an epi after 5 hrs in hosp thank god as bub was huge and the dr bless him had v long fingers etc had to get bub out by placing hands in delicate places as bub got well and truly stuck and vacuum failed and forceps good god and we had episiotomy too well she was 10 pounds and I am not large. Imagine enduring that experience without pain relief I would never even contemplate having a baby again. Crossed legs forever!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sydneychick For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had two epidurals. Both births were completely fine and intervention free.
    I had no tearing.
    I felt enough to know when to push and feel contractions, just felt no pain.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I discussed with my ob today, he believes the reason epidurals can sometimes lead to intervention is because women won't push as hard. He said when in pain people will do anything to stop it. Makes sense, I can't say I pushed as much as I could have. He also said if things go well with an epi the next birth is likely to also. Thanks for your responses