+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Epidural and cascade of events

After writing a calm birth plan and ditching it on the way to the hospital my first was an epidural (requested by me immediately on arrival, could not handle the posterior back pain) and I'm preying the second one in about 6 weeks will be too.. But I've recently read epidurals can lead to some pretty nasty intervention. One article said you are 160% more likely to need a cs!
    How was your birth with an epi?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perfect. Was up and walking around not long after birth. No complications. An easy VB no tears, no grazes. Loved my birth.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    3 epi births. 3 great experiences.

3rd one was by far the best, anaesthetist was amazing. Came back numerous times to check on me. Gave me only enough juice to mask the pain but not enough that I was completely numb. So I felt everything but nothing was painful. I also had a top-up button so that I could self administer but only to a certain amount.

Birth no2 was the worst one, they dosed me up so much that I was numb for 6 hours later.

All 3 babies however arrived with minimal pushing and tearing, no need for any CS talk.

Good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a note on the stats, a 160% increase sounds huge but it increases a ~12% chance of a cs to about 19%. If you've already had a vaginal delivery the odds are in your favour
    I didn't want to have an epi for the same reason, because it does increase certain risks - but an increased risk is not a guarantee!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Mine was a typical "cascade of intervention". I was unable to feel anything, so couldn't push at all and after trying for over an hour, bub was in distress and I had an episiotomy and vacuum extraction - the Ob said I narrowly avoided a c-section

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was fine. Epi took away the pain and let me rest. It wore off by the time I was ready to push so I could feel everything by then.
    My second birth I didn't have an Epi but it was faster so didn't have to endure contractions for as long.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Unfortunately mine was a cascade of intervention. ARM then epi as a result of the immediate, relentless contractions then bubs heart rate dropped as a result of the epi, rushed in for a grade 1 emergency c-section under a GA as it was so urgent that they get her out.

I would consider an epi again though, I'm not a person who handles pain well at all and the thought of having that pain again makes me not want another child. Next time would potentially be an "elective" c-section though as I'm not really interested in attempting a VBAC.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    2 epi's with different experiences.

1st ended in forceps as labour had gone on 70+ hours and my uterus became "lazy" and wouldn't hold a contraction long enough to make a difference. Epi was turned up and I couldn't feel a thing in theatre.
    2nd - I requested epi at time of syntocinon drip, controlled it myself and could feel when to push. Was up showered and having a cuppa 30mins after bub was born.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    First birth with epi, horrible.
    Took the pain away which was great, but it didn't work at first then it was slowing down the contractions, lead to almost urgent c section, then couldn't feel the push and was a long pushing stage, had to use forceps and big cut and tear, third degree, long recovery period.
    Second birth, I requested epi, refused by midwife, have me a shot of morphine and it was painful but totally manageable.
    Much more pleasant birth for me

17. The Following User Says Thank You to tubster For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    First birth was posterior, had induction and epidural. Typical cascade of intervention followed resulting in a c-section and years of traumatic memories. Recovery was extremely bad (although I was told it was much worse than average as they had to push him back up the birth canal).
    Second was drug free VBAC and amazing. No recovery time and was almost bouncing off the walls ready to go home in 2 hours. I would never consider an epidural again.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to threelittleloves For This Useful Post:

Beta  (14-08-2014)