+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 month old with temp of 38

I am new to the forum and have a question, my 3 month old little girl has been grizzling and sleeping all morning which is unlike her, so I took her temp rectally and it's 38. When do I start to get concerned? I've given her some panadol but not sure why she is feeling so miserable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cold and flu season! It's everywhere at the moment so that's probably what it is. If the panadol helps then stick with that and ride it out. I'd only worry if she developed a rash or if the panadol didn't keep her temp down.

My DS is almost 3 weeks old and has a bit of a cold at the moment. No temps that goodness, he's too young for medicines so I'm watching him like a hawk.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

CrazyMum2014  (13-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At 38 it isn't too high, so ride it out as much as you can with a luke warm bath (not cold) and panadol, that always does the trick for both of mine.

Unfortunately it's just that time of year where there are so many bugs going around, our house feels like it's been sick for a month now!

Hope your little one feels better soon x

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It is not recommended to take rectal temps on children. Good luck it really is awful when your little one is sick. X

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 3 months old I'd be watching bub carefully and go see your gp. Is she snotty? Feeding?

Under 3 months with a fever and drs are pretty concerned. At 3 Months not so concerned but only if you've got a clear reason for the fever (if no other symptoms then I'd be going and getting a urine checked), and bub was just a bit unsettled, not inconsolable and is still feeding.

Just be careful as young babies can get sick quick and contrary to what people often say, it's not really the number itself that constitutes how sick they are. I've seen kids very very sick with a temp of 38, and others be totally happy and fairly well with a temp of 41 (older kids of course).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    It is not recommended to take rectal temps on children. Good luck it really is awful when your little one is sick. X
    And yes, under the arm is the recommended method of taking a young bubs temp

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. She had a slight runny nose but wiped away and nothing since. I will check her temp again when she wakes.

I'm confused though, I was told under the arm is not accurate. I've never checked her temp rectally before, but her temp was normal according to the under arm reading. I felt bad but gave in to checking rectally because she felt hot and the sleepiness and grizzling was oit of the ordinary, and rectally it was 38?? I hope I haven't done harm by checking that way :'(

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am sure you have done no harm at all but it is possible to injure babies while taking rectal temps. It is not done in hospitals anymore. The most accurate temp is taken in bubs ear (you have to have to a particular thermometer specially for this) but it really depends on the quality of the thermometer more then place you take it I believe. Another thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't really matter what the numbers say. If you think bub is not well then you are probably correct. Nobody knows a bub better then it's mummy! At 3 months I would say just head straight to the GP..... Even just for piece of mind. Good luck. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't use the underarm, I find it lower than usual. I use the ear one. Like the ones doctors use. Nice and quick too.
    Also every child's normal temp is different.
    DD is 37.3, always had been 37.3
    DS is 36.7ish
    So with DD if she's 38 I wouldn't be concerned. But would be more worried is DS was 38.
    38 is not too high, however for a bub of 3 months old I would still be watching her.
    If you are concerned take her to the GP