+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default *spinoff* Things they never told you about childbirth...

In honour of @purplelily having her first baby girl and c-section today, I thought I'd start this thread! Whether you had a vaginal or caesarean birth, induction or spontaneous labour there must be something that happened that made you go "well...I wasn't expecting THAT!".

Mine would be going to the toilet the few days afterward and crying every time! Thank God for flushable wipes!

Edited: As per @shani2's correction!
    Last edited by Apple iPhart6; 13-08-2014 at 22:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No one ever told me about afterbirth pains!!

Also with my first I had a couple of small tears and stitches, and no one told me how much swelling there would be down there! The first time I went to the toilet and wiped I got a massive shock!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sometimes things go so differently from anything you had planned or imagined that the well thought out, researched and beatifully typed Birth Plan never even makes it out of your hospital bag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Yep definitely the toilet afterwards. I got grazes with dd1. Oh the burn..

Dd2 on the other hand was fine because she was so small.

Oh and having to say "excuse the pee bag" from being catheterised as a result of needing epidural for manual placenta removal afterwards. Oh yeah, sometimes you need to have the placenta manually removed when you have a prem because baby might be ready but the placenta isn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Queen View Post
    In honour of @purplelily having her first bub today, I thought I'd start this thread! Whether you had a vaginal or caesarean birth, induction or spontaneous labour there must be something that happened that made you go "well...I wasn't expecting THAT!".

Mine would be going to the toilet the few days afterward and crying every time! Thank God for flushable wipes!
    1st girl and csect but this is actually her 3rd but I'm sure a csect would be a whole new experience.

For me it'd be how painful it is when your milk comes in. Seriously felt like rocks made of lava!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (13-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    #1 - that I would vomit with every contraction, and that some people don't get breaks between their contractions.

#2 - that after birth pains are worse with subsequent births.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

lisa6111  (13-08-2014),MsViking  (13-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That it costs $500 for the dr to walk in the room and shake DH's hand after I've just pushed a baby out. Considering I didn't see him at all during the labour and another dr observed the student me deliver the baby I was a bit peeved!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I never knew that being induced was having to suffer through a very full on 14 hour contraction.. That was awful. Also didn't know that some surgeons are terrible at stitching/stapling. My stomach is now deformed due to a very careless one..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Weather it's your first or your 6th things don't always go to plan.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    The swelling! I don't remember it with DD but I had DS a couple of weeks ago and OMG I was so swollen!! Felt like all my insides were hanging out (gross I know but it's true)!

Another gross one, about 10days after DS was born I had a few massive blobs come out - like I felt it come out it was so huge! It freaked me out so I called the hospital and they said it's normal, could be the 'scab' coming away from where the placenta was as it leaves a wound inside the uterus.

Basically just how gross it is giving birth and for a few weeks after lol! Nothing glamorous about it!!