+ Reply to Thread
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Younger sibling later bedtime- and sharing a room

Has anyone had experience with this before?
    DS is 4.5 and could easily go down at 7 or earlier. DD is 20 months, has a 1-1.5 hour nap in the day and won't go to sleep before 8. (Tried cutting her nap down, didn't make a difference to when she fell asleep) So at the moment we put them both down at 7.30 and DS is out like a light, but we have to sit with DD for half an hour. But I feel bad for DS because he's clearly needing an earlier bed time. And it's a PITA sitting with DD every night. I'd rather just keep her up until she was actually tired. Any ideas or advice on how to play this? If I let DD stay up, DS will lose his shizz.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We had to put them down in different bedrooms and then transfer the one with the later bedtime into the bedroom. Total PITA.

Can you put your son down first and then your daughter an hour later?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Will your DS go straight to sleep at 7? If he will, could you get them both ready for 7pm bedtime, stay in the room with DD while he falls asleep, then take DD out for quiet play until 8. That way he doesn't actually need to know she gets to stay up.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The thing is, if I don't actually put her in her cot, he will cotton on immediately. A couple of times I've put her in the cot, waited till he was asleep (30 whole seconds, lol) then got her back up. But I'm thinking that's a terrible idea since we will soon need to put her in a bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing.
    I'm in a similar situation.
    ATM Dh continues to sit with Ds2 or I'll sit there with a book (kindle with light).
    I really don't know what else to do either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I've only had DS1 with a later bedtime but for awhile we would put DS2 to sleep and then read or hang out with DS1 for half an hour then take him in. Before that we had him go to sleep in my room because it took me ages to get DS2 to sleep. Atm they both go to sleep at the same time.

You could do similar in reverse if you want your DS to go to sleep first.

"Insert witty signature here"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely no experience in this at all, so please feel free to ignore

Could you try and gradually pull back your DD bedtime so it is the same as DS? Whether that means not letting her nap as long in the afternoon (assuming she naps) or something?

In the meantime, put them both to bed at the same time and just get DD back up once DS is asleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you have a partner around so you can divide them? If DH is home, one of us puts DS1 (4yo) to bed at 7pm while the other one stays up with DS2 (13 mo). Of not, I just keep DS1 up a little later, read them both a story in DS1's bed, put DS1 to bed, then deal with DS2 straight after that. Amazingly, DS1 doesn't make a fuss about it! But if there are two of you, you might be able to just be firm with your eldest for a few nights until he learns that that's how it goes...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you think your DS would adjust to the change after n few nights if you just put him down first and kept Dd up? That's what we do with our 4.5 year old and 2-mth old. I just told the eldest that she needed to go earlier because DS has a long sleep in the day and can stay up. I offered to let her stay up later if she napped too (knowing she would never take me up on this!!) and she doesn't complain any more.