+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Can I ask why you choose not to?
    Concern about giving people ideas. And also respect for family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Pretty much Sonja - there is a guidelines booklet out there. I've never reported on a suicide in the six years I've been in the industry. It's definitely not a rule we're not allowed to, but you will find it's an inhouse rule that we don't

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2b87 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (12-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 12-08-2014 at 17:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Last edited by Sonja; 12-08-2014 at 17:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Just from a family perspective- I lost a very close family member and I found it more distressing that there was no mention of it (not that I expected it to) because it seemed like the worlds most important news story to me that a mother and children had lost their husband/father in the prime of his life... It was like he never mattered and it wasn't important iykwim?

If it had been an accident or if he died suddenly another way I guarantee it would of been in the first few pages of the local newspaper. Perhaps even a fundraiser for the family left behind.

The fact it's not talked about and reported to me just exacerbates the shame and secrecy surrounding mental illness and suicide.
    I respect your views on this but unless you have had someone commit suicide in your immediate family you can't really know how that makes others feel. I tell people and see the look on their face like they don't know what to say or where to look, or they seem to want to run away. And to be honest I don't blame them. It's horrible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 12-08-2014 at 17:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just from a family perspective- I lost a very close family member and I found it more distressing that there was no mention of it (not that I expected it to) because it seemed like the worlds most important news story to me that a mother and children had lost their husband/father in the prime of his life... It was like he never mattered and it wasn't important iykwim?

If it had been an accident or if he died suddenly another way I guarantee it would of been in the first few pages of the local newspaper. Perhaps even a fundraiser for the family left behind.

The fact it's not talked about and reported to me just exacerbates the shame and secrecy surrounding mental illness and suicide.
    As someone who has had a relative commit suicide there's no way I would have wanted it splashed in the news. It's not a crime or an accident and shouldn't be reported on as such. We don't report when someone dies of cancer, so why would this be any different?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 12-08-2014 at 17:11.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I understand that this is a very emotive subject and that many of us have had very painful personal experiences relating to depression and suicide. But I do think that the reason it is not reported is not out of shame or secrecy but because of copycat suicides. I know growing up in the uk there were a couple of instances where soap operas had suicide story lines and the fictional suicides were followed by a spike in real life incidents. I believe it's the same here and this is why the media has learned to not publicise it, to report it vaguely and to add links to helplines etc on articles relating to suicide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Sorry @LittleMissSunshine I meant the general "you" not you in particular. And I was merely saying how I feel.

There was no tit for tat and for you to even suggest that I would be engaging in that is, well, quite extraordinary. I'm going to ask for my posts to be removed as you have really upset me now.