+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default * Trigger Warning* Suicide

Unfortunately it is becoming more and more common every day.
    In respect to those that have lost love ones and to the shock of the recent loss of Robin Williams. ...I am so sorry for your losses.
    But it is treated like a dirty little secret and some pretend that it doesn't exist but it does....
    I always thought how could some one take there own life and leave a family behind to pick up the pieces and that it was selfish. ....
    But today I think totally different there is more to it way more I have been in that deep dark place and almost ended it my self.
    Life can be so hard sometimes and crule.
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RuffledPansy For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (18-08-2014),Carpe diem 2013  (12-08-2014),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (12-08-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (12-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is a dark secret and I think because it's just not understood. In my experience, most people do think "how can they do that" or "it's selfish" but what people need to remember is mental illness isn't just someone feeling blue or sad, it's a chemical imbalance of the brain. If someone gets to that dark point where they think they need to end it, they truly believe their family, friends and the world will be a better place without them.

I have struggled with mental illness for the last 10 years and the treatment I have received from people who just don’t understand is horrible. I have lost friends, family members and jobs because of my illness. There was a time that I felt no one understood at all. It’s so isolating.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

adeline14  (13-08-2014),beebs  (17-08-2014),Carpe diem 2013  (12-08-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (12-08-2014),Serenity Love  (13-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I used to have a fairly narrow minded view on suicide when I was a bit younger. That was until my uncle committed suicide out of the blue 3.5 years ago I have my own battles with anxiety and depression, I have never thought about suicide but it has helped me realise how complex and lonely mental illness is. People don't choose to feel that way, there's so much more to it including chemical imbalances. Instead of calling it selfish I feel sad that people can get so depressed they feel there is no way out, that they only have one choice. I feel sad that my uncle felt that way and we had no idea Its such a taboo topic, some people are made to feel ashamed for needing help and others feel like they should be able to cope without help which is why there really needs to be more put into mental health. There needs to be more awareness and support out there. More people need to understand.
    Last edited by Purple Lily; 12-08-2014 at 15:00.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (12-08-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (18-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I have nothing more to add because you are so right! I just had to pop in and say thanks for starting this thread.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (12-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    The thing is, the people who do it dont think its selfish. They think the world will be better off without them and their issues. It makes me so sad to think about how terrible someone must he feeling to feel that suicide is their solution. I considered it once, when I was being bullied terribly in high school and I was struggling so much, my self esteem was shot and I honestly felt it was the only way of making my pain end. And I felt like a burdon on everyone around me. I was ready to give up.

I am so thankful I was able to come out the other side but it makes me so angry when people say its a selfish act. Mental illness is a hugely complicated issue, it isnt just feeling sad. Its so far past general sadness over something thats gone wrong etc. Its completely life altering.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    It makes me terribly sad that humans can be so depressed that the only way out is to no longer exist.
    I understand though how people who don't suffer from mental illness think it's selfish. No one can understand someone else's pain so someone who has never been depressed can't honestly understand what it feels like.

My mother lost a great friend to suicide a couple of months before she was told she had terminal cancer. She truly couldn't comprehend how her friend chose not to be here while she had no choice but in the face of death knew that her friend must have been terribly sad.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree it's a dirty secret.... This is a real bugbear of mine. Media aren't allowed to report it like they do a car accident fatality... If it is reported it's usually because it's someone famous and even then they hesitate to use the word suicide. So many are losing their lives to this disease but it isn't being widely covered - I think it's of the mindset it may trigger others to do the same but clearly this approach isn't working.

The silence also helps in keeping the pressure off the government to provide much needed funding into our mental health system.

More needs to be done to bring this epidemic into the spotlight and seriously ask ourselves as a nation what we can do to help solve it.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Ali19  (12-08-2014),Carpe diem 2013  (12-08-2014),MINIRoo  (12-08-2014),PomPoms  (12-08-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (12-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I agree it's a dirty secret.... This is a real bugbear of mine. Media aren't allowed to report it like they do a car accident fatality... If it is reported it's usually because it's someone famous and even then they hesitate to use the word suicide. So many are losing their lives to this disease but it isn't being widely covered - I think it's of the mindset it may trigger others to do the same but clearly this approach isn't working.
    The silence also helps in keeping the pressure off the government to provide much needed funding into our mental health system.
    More needs to be done to bring this epidemic into the spotlight and seriously ask ourselves as a nation what we can do to help solve it.
    Media are allowed to report it, we choose not too in most cases, the same as domestic violence cases.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2b87 View Post
    Media are allowed to report it, we choose not too in most cases, the same as domestic violence cases.
    Can I ask why you choose not to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    This news has hit home for me, with my dad who is in his 50's currently going through a struggle with depression and at one point he was suicidal after a bad reaction to anti depressants. My sisters and I were shocked when we found out, we never pictured it happening to him, not our dad. but it showed us it can happen to anyone.
    Mum was the one to tell us and for awhile, it was talked about not with him around. But one day I talked to him about it and it didn't feel like such a dirty secret anymore, it felt like a weight lifted for both of us, now I can easily talk to him about it without him having to feel ashamed about it and because of this family support he is slowly getting better.