+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Can you start giving her fruit for breakfast? DS always starts the day with a piece of fruit while I make his breakfast - I also agree with pp not to offer any food after dinner

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You may also find as they start to self feed that the amounts of different foods they eat changes as they can follow what their body is telling them to eat. So they might not touch meat for three days then eat half a steak in one go. This self control over diet, so long as lots of vegetables and high fibre foods are on offer, should help reduce the dependence on fruit to keep her bowels regular.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried to give her fruits for breakfast but she would only eat oats, bread, weetbix, cheese or avocado.. I guess avocado counts as a fruit right??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep avocado is great and a good source if fibre but still just keep offering fruit every morning and add some high fibre veggies for dinner like corn and beans - as she is learning to feed herself just put a variety of things on her table and let her choose , she will figure it out - the key is variety and not serving the same thing all the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last night I offered 2 favourite food (eggplant and mushroom) and 3 old favourite (Chinese vegetable, rice and pork chops). She only chose to eat eggplant, mushroom and pork. The other night I offered mashed potatoes, zucchini, steak, mushroom, cherry tomatoes, DD only ate mushroom, 6 cherry tomatoes, steak, and 3 bites of zucchini and 1 spoon of mash. I remember when I was spoon feeding I could load anything on the spoon, and most of the time she would be happy to eat it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did she seem to be having trouble with the mash, scooping it etc? She sounds like she's self feeding well but might still want a little help with some foods. You could try just spoon feeding the mash or any other hard to manage foods at dinner. They're always tired at dinner so the coordination to spoon feed themselves takes a lot more concentration. Rice is another food that can be hard to manage, I find if it's sticky, like risotto, it's easier for them to manage by themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Stretched, she actually has no problem using her spoon to do mash potatoes as she is able to do a bowl of oats in the morning. She had 1 spoon then just gave us back the bowl and said no With rice, it is a bit tricky, many months ago she went through the rice phase and was happy to eat a bowl of plain rice, then suddenly she lost interest. Even if we spoon feed her now, we need to give her lots of toys to distract her too. One time she was very hungry, and did eat a bowl but that was many weeks ago. I guess I can make the rice a bit more interesting tonight mix it with cream and cheese however not sure if that would help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    And last night rice wasn't plain rice, it was cooked with Chinese mushroom and mince pork, she didn't even attempt, looked at it then said she was full.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She just might not be feeling like much carbohydrates at dinner time then. If she's had plenty through the day and is still sleeping well I wouldn't push it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi stretched, during lunch she ate 2 small bowls of noodle so I guess she does have enough carb for the day maybe under a bit. Now with sleep, we found that she isn't sleeping as well as usual. Normally she does a 11-12 hours, but now she does 9-10 since we started self feeding on Friday? But her afternoon nap is long like 4 hours. And last night was bad, she woke at 4 and started singing and talking, eventually she went back to sleep, but it isn't something that she would normally do.