+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default IVF cancelled after egg retrieval due to OHSS. Waiting game starts again.

Hi all, this is my first ever post. I have read many threads and found very useful info here on my journey. I think I just need to vent to some people that understand what I am going through. This is going to be long. Sorry. I am sure there are many in the same boat and worse.
    my history: I am 32 hubby is 39. We have been TTC for two years now. I have PCOS (diagnosed age 23) and don't ovulate, my AMH is literally off the charts. We have no other infertility factors. Hubby sperm count is great, motility is fine, morphology on the low side but made up for by large volume.
    So we started fertility treatment journey November 2012. First ovulation induction round with clomid was Feb 2012 - no response. Another clomid cycle at a higher dose also no response so June 2012 we moved to highly controlled ovulation induction with FSH injections. I had a great response, 1 large egg, great lining, hcg trigger with timed intercourse = BFN. Another ovulation induction August 2012 again lovely response 1 egg great lining, timed intercourse = BFN.
    At this time we decided we needed to take a break so we stopped treatment and went overseas on a lovely holiday at the start of this year. Upon return we tried ovulation induction with FSH again with IUI. Again a great response with 2 great eggs this time + a good amount of quality sperm used in the IUI and STILL BFN!
    Clinic suggested IVF so we have just had our first cycle. I had a good response with over 20 follicles and they collected 11 mature eggs for fertilisation on Friday. 7 fertilised and still going at 3 days. Unfortunately my estrogen spiked before hcg trigger last week and I was warned I might hyper stimulate, at egg collection there was already a bit of free fluid. Fast forward over the weekend I look about 4 months pregnant and very uncomfortable went in today to get checked out and sure enough my pelvis is full of fluid and embryo transfer is called off due to OHSS. They will monitor the embryos and freeze over next few days.
    so now back to the waiting game. I have to wait for this cycle to end with a period then wait a whole month before trying again. Unfortunately as I have no natural cycle trying again will involve progesterone to bring on a period (progesterone and I do not get on well, I don't like it!) then an ovulation induction cycle with FSH injections to bring on ovulation and grow the lining so they can make the transfer. Then we have to hope the embryos thaw ok and hope for implantation and healthy pregnancy. In all I worked out I am looking at a possible transfer in about 11-12 weeks aaaarrrrrrgggghhh! It is forever away. ( this is based on period in 2 weeks, 4 week recovery cycle, 1 week of progesterone, 1 week for period to arrive, start injections day 5 then 3 weeks of ovulation induction THEN trigger and transfer. Phew).
    the worst thing about IVF for me (I am a control freak) is the waiting and not knowing, my life is at a fork in the road and I don't know which way it will go and I am sick of being on hold. We had put a limit on our treatment for physical and psychological reasons which was 2 ivf cycles so there won't be much more treatment for us and the realisation that we are coming to the end scares me. Having a baby scares me too but that's another long story.
    I am so disappointed my transfer got cancelled but I understand why and I would not want to get sicker than this but this setback has added another few months to this process which I can't really handle.
    Geez I haven't even gone into my emotional response to this whole process in this very long story telling exercise. I am sure many can relate to the unknown future, the constant waiting, the multiple steps we have to go through and how things can fail at any hurdle, not to mention dealing with it seems like everyone else getting pregnant on the way. I am thrilled we have 7 embryos (fingers crossed they are still going), it's really nice to think that we have these little babies in the lab. I am just looking for a resolution to this journey one way or another and of course here's another obstacle in my way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Hi @gingermillie well done on joining the forum and posting it's a good step forward to seek out some support.

Your situation sounds pretty similar to @amiracle4me so perhaps she'll have some advice for you.

IVF is certainly a rollercoaster ride. Perhaps you'd like to also introduce yourself in the July/Aug IVF thread - it's pretty active over there.

Hope your journey is a short and successful one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    "the worst thing about IVF for me (I am a control freak) is the waiting and not knowing, my life is at a fork in the road and I don't know which way it will go and I am sick of being on hold."

@gingermillie oh yes, I can relate to that and most IVFers I suspect. Also, I just had a cycle cancelled in june which set me back a month of an already long 3 month wait between cycles due to a pill start long reg. Ugh. I have about 6.5 weeks to go! I turn 42 in oct so waiting a third of a year between cycles is not ideal.

I'm also down to the last 1 or 2 cycles to go. I can't concentrate on anything besides knowing the outcome of all this in the next few months. It's horrible just wishing time away, especially when it drags on so long. I think I'm ready to see a counselor as my work life feels very dull and I'm struggling to drum up any enthusiasm.

Don't be shy about jumping on any of the monthly or age threads. I think I'm on all of them!

Sorry that was a bit of a me post, just wanted you to know you're not alone.

7 embryos is great, fingers crossed they develop well but that's a promising start. I guess that's one thing in our favour with PCOS, we produce a good amount of eggs. It sounds like you have been through so much already, I hope you get the support here to help you through the next stage.
    Last edited by Bongley; 12-08-2014 at 18:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just wanted to let you know that I could have written your exact story, except only 1 emby made it to freezing stage.

That 1 emby is now my 20mth old DD!! OHSS is the pits, take care & fingers crossed for a BFP!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also had a freeze all in 2009 due to OHSS, as I had 36 eggs. Although I'm so glad now that they were frozen (I had 9) so the embryo wasn't wasted so I could wait till my body calmed down. For me in took 40 days for my period to return and then I did a FET (I only had 1 embryo that made it to day 5). I now have a 4 year old boy from that transfer. Hope your feeling ok I found OHSS terrible and was in a lot of pain. Try and rest as much as you can. I found drinking loads of water helped too and even Gatorade helped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I was in a similar position to you after my first cycle 2 years ago. I over stimmed and ended up in hospital.

Long story short, INSIST that your fs triggers you with synarel and a half dose of pregnyl rather than purely hcg. This prevents serious ohss. Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys I knew there would be many others in the same boat. Sucks for all of us though doesn't it?
    today is day 5 I need to call tomorrow to find out what got frozen and when (they said they might do some at 3 day, some at 5 maybe even 6 depending on how they looked and loss rate). I am presently off work due to the OHSS and feel like I never want to go back. I too am lacking motivation for much of anything right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @gingermillie let us know how you get on tomorrow, I hope you get some nice looking blasties frozen. My clinic waits until day 6 but I've never had any good enough to be frozen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @gingermillie Tough gig isn't it? I too did a freeze all cycle due to OHSS. I was admitted to hospital the day after EPU, spent the night, was then sent home but the following morning was so sick I was admitted to the ICU and spent another 8 nights in hospital. I ended up with 8kg of fluid in my abdomen and looked more pregnant than I did when I finally got pregnant. We only ended up with 2 embies which at the time I found very, very difficult to deal with. Fortunately the first emby stuck when we put it back 3 months later.

When we recently returned to FS to do another stim cycle (which will be in Sept), and he went through my history, he said that I was the worst case of OHSS they have seen in more than ten years. That's not all that reassuring when I'm about to embark on the whole thing again! I am quietly panicking about the whole thing as like you, it's the lack of control that I really struggle with.

Take your time before going back to work if you can! Good luck with those embies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @gingermillie ( brown haired Millie here lol )

I read your post and could have pretty much written it myself! PCOS is so frustrating so I feel your pain there .

I just completed my first ICSI cycle and had 60 follies so they gave me the Syranel trigger to prevent OHSS and I'm now in the same boat as you only a week along. I was fortunate to get 27 eggs and 18 embryos have been frozen. I just got AF so waiting the 4/5 weeks till next AF to start a frozen cycle.
    Damn Medicare and its gap inbetween! Grrrrr!

I have taken solace in the fact that I have some little babies in the freezer. It really is reassuring to know I will have some to transfer! I'm also using the time to do other things like see the dentist etc.

How did you go today with the fert report?

I'll be subbing this thread as I think we'll have our FET around the same time

Me 33 PCOS
    DH 38 Low Morphology 😔
    TTC#1 since Oct 2012
    Clomid #1- 50mg 11/11/13 - No ovulation 😔
    Clomid #2- 100mg 26/12/13 - Ovulated yay!! - BFN
    TTC Break over
    Nurses appt 27th June
    ICSI #1 - 18 Frosties - OHSS risk so Sept/Oct FET Transfer