+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am lucky in a way, DS 3.5 and DD 2 play together. But DS still prefers my company, it seems that he wants someone more knowledgable than himself to play with him so it's more entertaining.
    I feel guilty if I don't. I work so much already and they don't go to school or preschool yet (will be going in 2 months), so whenever I get the chance to spend with them I try to play with them so I can teach them at the same time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tubster For This Useful Post:

happygirl1982  (12-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You are not a bad mummy. To curb the upset I would tell him from the start "mummy can play with you for 30 mins then she needs to go and do x job/s. I can play again when I am done." Then give him a 5 min warning before his time with you is up so he isn't taken by surprise. That should help him to understand that you cannot be with him 24/7.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (12-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Bahahaha!

Wine!? Being undead!? Toy car massage!? You girls all crack me up!

I thought I was the only one that got bored playing toys, games, books, puzzles, drawing.

My DD is 2.5 and I think I play with her too much. I'd love to do more about the house / for myself, but DD is so clingy and tantrums so much, I give in and play or watch cartoons when we are at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so glad people can relate! I will discuss first with him that I can play for a set amount of time and then I need to work. I sort of do this now but he is very persuasive and will even follow me to another room and hold my hand and put a train in it!

I do drink wine Not while playing but it would be tempting!

Hm, train massages.....! Another good idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    I think it sounds like you are doing a great job and whatever you can manage would be fine. I think in years to come he will remember the fact that you did sit down and play with him and not the actual amount of time spent.

FWIW I used to sit down and play trains with DS when he was that age most days, maybe about 30 minutes like you. Certainly not all day. Now he is older (16) he remembers and appreciates that I did actually sit and play with him when he was younger (and his father didn't but that's another topic).
    Thanks this really hits a note with me. I also remember feeling like I wished my parents would take more of an interest in my stuff and also them being too busy. So I guess that's why I feel so guilty that I don't necessarily enjoy playing with DS although I do enjoy doing other things with him, just not trains! Anyway, I'll try not to feel so bad and focus on short periods of play rather than the idea I have to do it all day.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bueller For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (12-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I usually start an activity and play with them 10-15min. Then leave my two to play. But as my kitchen overlooks the playroom they are happy as I'm still around them.