+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone here hire a babysitter?

Does anyone here have to resort to hiring a babysitter for the occasional night out?

I don't speak to my mum so she wont be having DS anymore, and the inlaws have a snappy dog so I am not comfortable leaving DS (and in the future #2 with them) Plus they are messed up as well ... so id rather not leave my kids with them.

So its made me realize that in order for DH and I to have the occasional very rare night out, we'll have to either go out separate with friends; or hire a babysitter.

We only have 2 sets of friends that also have children and they rely heavily on their own families, so I don't feel comfortable asking them to ever babysit for us as I wouldn't be able to return the favor as I doubt they'll ever ask! They have strong family support. The rest of our friends are in relationships etc but childless and still living it up (so they say!)

So is anyone else here in the same boat? Do you hire a babysitter or just resign yourself to never having a night off ever again until your kids have grown up and moved out...

I am a long way off having any nights off anyways - but its just been on my mind lately, what will we do when things come up that we might not be able to take he kids along to.

Any bad experiences with babysitters?
    Last edited by Serenity Love; 11-08-2014 at 16:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi

when ds was 10 months old we went to the wineries for dh 40 th... There was a big gp of us styaing in one place. I hired a babysitter from a company in the area. I didnt enjoy the night out becuase i was worried about ds not settling and leaving him with a stranger. She called me at 930pm to say she couldnt settle him to sleep so i came home anyway. The night and money was a waste. Mind you we gave no one local to babysit as both parents live an hr away so its a production to get the kids babysat. Ive thought about hiring and finding a local babysitter but never got around to it cos i felt my dd was too young and worried about not knowing the orrson. I would consider it in the future but i would rather go by word of mouth ....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jfblady72 For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (11-08-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yes ... I occasionally hire babysitters.

One of the carers at DD's day care used to babysit for us. Also a friends teenage daughter (who was very responsible and known to us, otherwise I wouldnt have had a teenager)

the girls at my playgroup also suggested a number of other locals who babysat for 'date night' ...

It certainly adds to the cost of a night out - but not everyone has family or friends who can do it.

I have to say - as your kids get older, it gets easier. They make friends, and have sleepovers ... so now, mostly if I have something on, I will arrange for a sleepover for DD rather than having to pay a babysitter.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have minor family support, so a lot of time we hire a babysitter.
    A girl who worked at childcare told us she would babysit for us if we wanted.
    She doesn't work in cc anymore but babysits for us.

Have a chat with friends and see if they know anyone.
    Look in your local guide or ask at childcare if anyone there babysits or knows someone reliable.
    Otherwise look at an agency and google them. Agency staff need to have police checks etc so pretty safe.

We have used babysitters when on holidays as well.
    We used a company who were great in Melbourne if you are there I can find out the name for you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm a babysitter myself and plenty of people use me for a date night/night out

Most of my work is just casual nights out etc I have a few regular families who use me nearly weekly but otherwise most are casual.. I of course meet with the family before hand

Don't feel bad about it! Just make sure you feel comfortable with the person you choose

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EmPowering For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome thanks all! Great ideas i hadn't even thought about. I'll have to look into DS childcare to see if any of them babysit after hours, they are all such lovely ladies so id be happy for him to go with either one of them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Serenity Love For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (11-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmPowering View Post
    I'm a babysitter myself and plenty of people use me for a date night/night out

Most of my work is just casual nights out etc I have a few regular families who use me nearly weekly but otherwise most are casual.. I of course meet with the family before hand

Don't feel bad about it! Just make sure you feel comfortable with the person you choose
    Id love to find myself a good trusty babysitter! I guess they're out there i just gotta hunt around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We don't have anyone either to babysit. The daycare where my kids go forbids their employees to babysit but my daughter started school this year and where she goes to before and after school care they are allowed to babysit. So recently I hired a girl to come while my husband and I went to the accountant.

I would not feel comfortable just hiring someone I didn't know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am such a paranoid mother, I am even worrying about way in the future with sleep overs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have only ever used family, and recently started using my teenaged niece. I don't feel comfortable with the idea of hiring strangers to babysit.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TeBe For This Useful Post: