+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default A bill when you're not having a bill?

Well...DH was paid a little extra money right at the end of the financial year which put us a grand or two above our estimate for the year (which was overestimated until the payment).

We assumed that since we had received our last payment for the kids already from centrelink/government for the year by the time we knew that we would just have a little to pay back and that they would take it out when they paid us the difference of our CCB and CCR and FTB B when our tax stuff went through. We received over $2k back from the government but then got a bill for the $34 that they overpaid us due to the increase in DH's wage at the end of the financial year.

The part that doesn't make sense to us is that it is a bill, it says on it though that the amount being waivered is the $34 and the total owing is $0.00. Yet, there is a slip at the bottom for us to go and pay the amount.

So...after all that - Do we have to go and pay them something or not? It's only $34 and we don't mind paying but to us, it says that we owe $0 as the amount has been waivered. If so, why on earth did the government spend the money on paying someone to tell us this and on the postage? How often are they wasting money on these types of bills?

Similarly - my husband received a "receipt" for the tax he paid which basically was a breakdown of the different areas his tax was spent by the government. I would imagine everyone paying tax would get one of these and there would be a department and costs involved with sending this information out. Is it really necessary? I feel that the government would be better off putting this money towards health care and the hospitals...or education. Putting the percentages on a website would suffice I'd imagine as the ATO already sends out a form for the tax after it's done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had a 'bill' like that before @Little Ted.

If they've waived it, no need to pay. I would think the payment slip is just there because all these letters are automatically generated.

Me 39 DF 35
    DD ICSI April 2011
    DD natural November 2013

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenMoon For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (11-08-2014),LoveLivesHere  (11-08-2014)