+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Moving from swaddling to sleeping bag

What age/stage was your little one when you stopped swaddling? Why did you stop, ie when they started rolling?

And most importantly how did you go about it?

With my DS1 he went into a sleeping bag really early as he wasn't sleeping anyway so we tried everything....with DS2 I'm not sure how to go about it, or when to do it.

Thanks in advance x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    DS1 went cold turkey from a halo sleepsack swaddle into a gro-bag. No problems whatsoever.

With DS2 he still had the startle reflex at 4 months so the cold turkey strategy was a disaster with him! We ended up sleeping him in a gro-bag and sleepy wings during the day and halo sleepsack swaddle at night (where he is still on our room at night and is tucked in with blankets so can't roll). The sleepy wings are a good transition from swaddling to not swaddling. We will soon be moving DS2 into his own room at night and putting Him in the grobag and wings. Hopefully he will be ok.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Monkey'sMummy  (11-08-2014)

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm about to revisit this with DD #2 as she is now 5 months and is rolling and wiggling out of her wrap.

I vaguely remember with DD1 that I started off leaving one arm out for a week or so then moved up to 2 arms out with the wrap still around her middle then when she got used to that started to use a gro bag.

I use big muslin cloth wraps with my bub not a swaddle so not sure if thin helps you.

Although even until DD1 was 3 she would still sleep with her 'cuddle' which was her muslin cloth wrap, just not wrapped in it. It was her comfort item.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DS was 5 months, he still had the startle reflex but he had started to roll so it was too dangerous to keep him swaddled. I used the Love to Dream Swaddle Up bags. I had bought the 50/50 style where you can unzip one wing at a time to get them used to it. I was originally planning on starting with removing 1 or both wings during day sleeps but the rolling stopped all those plans. We had To go cold turkey which was a bit of a disaster. (I think it was more so because he would roll and wake himself up). By about 7 months he went into a gro bag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was 8 months, I was waiting for her to roll over in bed but she never did! We changed because she was getting very big for the swaddle and it was summer so it was too hot.
    We started still in the swaddle, one arm out. Then both arms out, with the swaddle under the sleeping bag. Then into just the sleeping bag. We introduced a comforter at the same time so she had something to do with ther hands.
    The first week was awful, then once she got used to it she slept better than ever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We used the halo sleep sack swaddle and went from both arms down to one arm out and then the other arm out - it was still tightly swaddled around her middle so still gave DD the feeling of swaddling. She was 4 months when she started getting one arm out and we gave her the second arm once the first had stopped flailing at about 5.5 months lol once both arms were out we gave her her comforter which she would hold onto and then when she outgrew her halo sleepsack swaddle we put her in a grobag
    Last edited by LaDiDah; 11-08-2014 at 11:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never heard of the halo swaddle some of you have mentioned....maybe a good transition between being wrapped in his muslin & going to a grobag??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even better, I just searched for those sleepy wings - thanks Vic Park, I'm going get those with a grobag.

So hard when they still startle, but also have started rolling!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey'sMummy For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (11-08-2014)