+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep, I always like having a few different books to read.

A PP mentioned two that I own and read quite often - "parenting for a peaceful world" and "children are people too". "Raising your spirited child" was awesome too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    ^^ I've read the same ones too - plus raising boys - I just like reading everyone's ideas /perspectives and some things I implement and some I don't

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've read a few. My favourites are The Highly Sensitive Child, and Children are people too. Like Elijah's mum I like reading about other people's ideas and perspectives even if I don't agree with them so I do read a lot. It also helps sometimes to know you aren't the only one out there dealing with certain issues and behaviours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Elijahs Mum is raising boys good? I have a 2 year old DS and a two week old DS. Won't be having anymore children so was thinking this book might be a good investment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes it's really interesting , especially the way boys/ girls develop differently ( mentally not just physically!) plus the testosterone surges and why boys act how they do and how to nurture them - well worth a read I think

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (11-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    I haven't yet but the time has come I need one! So if anyone can recommend a book for a 5 year old girl with the attitude of a 15yo I would appreciate it!
    Ha. That's mine too. 4.5 but acting like a teen. The snappy/moodiness is making DH&I crazy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I read a couple on toileting and they helped me more to understand and feel better about DS's toilet training but in terms if strategy there wasn't much I hadn't already tried....

I tend to parent as trial and error. Some things don't work, other things do, and young kids change from day-to-day too so one approach one day might not work the next depending on how tired etc he is. Some days everything works, other days nothing works!

Kids are living, growing, changeling beings and all the books in the world wouldn't make parenting easier imo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by French Pear View Post

I haven't read any parenting books since DD was a babe, she is nearly 2.5 and really "spirited". I suppose I have been parenting by instinct but as DD gets older I'm finding the discipline and behaviour side of things harder to manage.

DD has a beautiful personality, she is extremely strong willed and has a real spirit, I don't want to change these things about her, I just want to reach a point where she listens and respects so we can co-exist as a happy family unit.

My DH takes his parenting cues off me, so I feel the added pressure to make sure I'm getting it right and I'm anti-smacking and have started to use time out but feel like maybe I'm not getting it right yet.
    This sounds much like my family - a strong willed 3.5yo DD, DH takes cues from me, anti-smacking, don't want to dampen her spirit, etc.

I read the book "Peaceful Parent, Happy kids" by Dr Laura Markham and I highly recommend it. She teaches how to be a mentor and guide to our kids while setting limits with empathy. Guide and love rather than discipline. I first started using her techniques when DD was 2.5 and starting tantrums. I felt time-outs weren't effective and didn't sit well with me. A year on and I'd fallen into some old habits and I felt DD's behaviour was becoming worse. I re-read some parts of the book, changed my parenting and attitude towards her and sure enough things improved! She has an ebook on her website too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

Mmumm  (11-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you to everyone for your replies

I'm definitely going to look into a lot of these books recommended, I'll have a squiz on iBooks and read some samples to decide which to start with. I'll report back in once I have decided on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have read Raising Boys but found it really hard to wade through and find the relevant information for our family. I tend to use places such as Bubhub for parenting information.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Beljane For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (12-08-2014)