+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you read parenting books for your toddler/older children?

I'm interested to know if you read parenting books and if so, do you find them helpful?

If you did find them helpful, which ones did you like and have you implemented parenting strategies from them?

If you didn't find them helpful, why not?

I haven't read any parenting books since DD was a babe, she is nearly 2.5 and really "spirited". I suppose I have been parenting by instinct but as DD gets older I'm finding the discipline and behaviour side of things harder to manage.

DD has a beautiful personality, she is extremely strong willed and has a real spirit, I don't want to change these things about her, I just want to reach a point where she listens and respects so we can co-exist as a happy family unit.

My DH takes his parenting cues off me, so I feel the added pressure to make sure I'm getting it right and I'm anti-smacking and have started to use time out but feel like maybe I'm not getting it right yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No, I didn't. Sorry I can't help with any books.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I trust my gut.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I didnt for ages ...

but am going to soon. YM07 recommended a book for teenage / pre-teen girls the other day which I am going to get.

And a few on friendships/raising girls ... and went to a girlpower seminar (which was great)

Depends how comfortable you are with what you are doing, and wether or not you feel you are able to meet the current challenges that your littlie is presenting you with.

If you are doing ok - I wouldnt bother.
    If you are finding specific behaviour difficult ... then look for something dealing with it

Thats my philosophy anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    I attempted to read the baby whisperer for toddlers, part way through I realised all children are different as are parenting ways. All 4 of my daughters take a different way of discipline based on who they are so for me the book wasn't going to help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read 1-2-3 Magic to help with disciplining my 2 year old DS. He's stubborn and throws a mean tantrum and this has helped us with being consistent and united in how we discipline him (for the most part anyway!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - thank you
    Two great books that I've read are Parenting for a Peaceful World by Robin Grille and also Children are People Too by Louise Porter. Both fantastic books and, come to think of it, I might reread them now that I'll have another little one soon. It's been a lot of years since I've parented a toddler!!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes I do. I tend to flick through books and take the pieces that I can use. I have a couple on the go at the moment - 'secret girls business', 'How To Talk So Kids Will Listen' and 'Cool, Calm and Confident' are in the pile. I'm a big fan of 'the highly sensitive child' but there's one I've seen mentioned on the hub before - not sure of the name but it might be Raising Spirited Children?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't yet but the time has come I need one! So if anyone can recommend a book for a 5 year old girl with the attitude of a 15yo I would appreciate it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A book I've read, which is aimed at parents with 2-6 year olds, is "It's OK Not to Share" by Heather Shumaker. Her blog will give you an idea of her parenting style: http://www.heathershumaker.com/blog/