+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How many breastfeeds when baby has 2 meals of 2-3 tablespoons/day

I have a question about how many times to breastfeed DS when he has 2 meals a day of 2-3 tablespoons. He has some fruit at 10 am and veggies at around 4-5pm. Loves banana and peaches, have tried avocado, pear and apple sometimes mixed with baby rice cereal. Having some trouble with the veggies though, so far he has had sweet potato, some cauliflower mixed with potato but he doesnt like it as much (maybe not sweet enough?).

He is 5 and a half months, and I know with BF it's better to wait till they are 6 months but he was ready, he keeps grabbing our food so he is hungry and his Ped told us between 4-6 months it's fine to start solids.

He seems to be waking up a lot still at night due to teething (he drools a lot, sucks on bottom lip, chews on everything, seems to be a bit better when i rub his gums with teething gel) but as he wakes up so much a night, I still end up breastfeeding him twice to help him settle (he wakes a more than that but i know i cant feed him everytime he wakes).
    So he still has about 7-8 breastfeeds a day plus two meals. Is this too much milk? the Health nurse doing his monthly check ups said that from 6 months i have to night wean as he won't need those night feeds but I just cant see that happening any time soon. Just dont know how to go about night weaning as he's my first baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At 5.5mo I would still be demand feeding, and treating solids as 'fun', trying new tastes & textures. 7-8 feeds per day sounds about what my bubs had at that age. You don't have to night wean if you don't want. He technically may not NEED the night feeds, but if it's easy to get him back to sleep that way and you are happy to do it, keep going. I night weaned both my boys around the 9/10 month mark. I gently and gradually moved from feeding at each wake to rocking/ patting back to sleep. However with DS2 he is 16mo and sick and I have had to go back to feeding at night a few times since first night weaning - atm he's back to 2 feeds a night. Nutritionally he doesn't need it, but bfing is often about so much more than nutrition!

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As many feeds as he wants. Breastmilk needs to be the majority food for the first 12 months, until then, food is only 'play' and not really about nutrition.

As for night weaning at 6 months!! The youngest I ever night weaned one of my boys was 2 1/2 years old! Don't put pressure on yourself to comply with a health nurse, she is not living your life, nor does she know your child the way you do!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Haven't read any replies.

I'm siding with your nurse on this one. 7-8 sounds like a lot of feeds to me but it also depends on how much bub is drinking. I wouldn't worry too much yet though. When bub is fully established on solids/6 months plus then unless there are medical issues most babies don't need night feeds....it's more habit. And can become a catch 22: because bub drinks so much milk at night, there's not as much room for solids during the day. So bub doesn't get as full and needs to wake at night to get more calories from milk. I for one love my sleep and don't want to encourage night wakings unless they are Absolutley medically necessary. If you are happy with being woken at night then don't put pressure on yourself to night ween if you aren't comfortable with this.

Adding protein especially to the night time meal can help bub sleep longer. If you don't want to add meat, try purée lentils mixed with veges (sweet potato etc).

Good luck
    Last edited by VicPark; 11-08-2014 at 10:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies, that makes me feel a bit better.

I have just been told by my mother who has no clue about breastfeeding as she chose to formula feed me and my 3 siblings from the onset that I need to up the solids and cut the BFs. Both my sisters are also formula feeding and they all live overseas and it seems like BF is not much encouraged there or there is a lot of misinformation in my home country. She told me that I soon have to put him on 4 meals of solids of 250 grams.
    ATM my DS eats less than 100 g per meal twice a day. I mean his stomach isnt that big, i cant imagine having to feed him 250g in one sitting. I was told a baby's stomach is the size of their fist. So about one hour after his BF i give him solids. I prepare about 100 g which is about the size of his fist. He prob eat most of it safe 2 spoons?
    I am due to go visit overseas in a few months and I can only imagine the meddling Im going to have to tolerate when im there for two months. My DH fully supports me BF our baby and I dont feel the need to stop yet. Hope to continue on till at least 12 months and maybe little longer if DS wants it. but my heart sinks everytime my mother is trying to tell me what to do. Its my baby why cant she just back off. The thing is she has always been controlling and because it is my body and I am BF she cannot control this. And I have always done things my own way, so she feels attacked that I choose to feed my child a different way (her own insecurity issues causing her to say that she 'must have raised me inappropriately then if she bottle fed' almost like she is jealous?). She cannot understand the concept of BFing however many times I have tried to explain this to her. So far I am following the guidelines from the wholesomebabyfood website, and DS seem to be bang on their suggested schedule. He is happy and healthy and is going through a growth spurt so he has become a bit chubby, but still just over the 50th percentile so he is an average baby and i figure once he crawls and grows the chubbiness will go, reaching all his milestones in truth even before my sisters' bottle fed babies. My sister's DS btw is skinny but long so why do they feel the need to compare to my DS all the friggin time. Not that meeting milestones a certain time matters anyway because all babies are different but my mother makes it sound like I am not doing the right thing and it shakes my confidence.

i dont know how to tell her to back off, even to her face when we visit as I will have to deal with a lot of silence treatments and disapproving looks . I also feel like I am going to have to become a closet BF mumma if bubs chooses to continue BF when hes over 12 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It can be so tough dealing with everyone's opinions (especially your own family) when you become a parent. I can't imagine my kids ever eating 4 meals of 250g per day!! My 3.5yo wouldn't even come close to eating that, let alone a 6mo baby! Your bub will regulate how much he wants to eat, so if you follow his lead you will be fine.

The recommendation in Australia is to start solids at 6mo (unless you have had contrary advice from a doctor/ paed to start earlier) and milk, either formula or bm, is their main source of nutrition until 1. So you are doing the right thing and perhaps let your mum know of the recommendations and that you are following those. That might back her off a bit, or it might not and you just have to stand your ground and parent the way you feel is right.

I have always gone with the saying 'food is fun until they're 1'. From 6mo I started both my kids on 1 small solids meal a day, slowly increasing to 2 then 3. It is as much about experiencing different tastes/ textures etc as it is about extra nutrition. DS1 was started on purees and quite a big eater, DS2 I did BLW and didn't really actually start eating properly until around 9mo. Both are happy and healthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Do what you feel comfortable with and what works for your baby!

My boys both didn't start solids until after 6 months so were still having plenty of breast feeds. I fed on demand so they had boobie whenever they liked. I stuck to the saying 'food before 1 is just for fun' so figured they still needed my milk as their main source of nutrition.

DS1 stopped feeding overnight at around 6-7 months as he started sleeping through on his own.

DS2 however was a terrible sleeper and I was still feeding him multiple times overnight until he turned 1 and we went to sleep school.

Every baby is so different, which is why I would take your nurses advice only if that's what you feel comfortable doing.