+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Vaccination and Travel

I am interested to hear peoples thoughts on overseas travel and vaccination, esp from people who choose not to vax their children. Do you travel o/s? Do you then consider vaxing if you travel?

I work in travel medicine/health and come across travellers from all walks of life, but am interested to hear what everyone's thoughts are on O/S travel and vaccination...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No I've/we've never traveled overseas so its not been something I've concerned myself with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    No I've/we've never traveled overseas so its not been something I've concerned myself with.
    Do you think you would consider vaxing if you did decide to travel (like to Bali or something)?

I want to make it clear that this isn't a "trap", I am genuinely interested, and while i am pro-vax, i respect everyone's opinion on this subject.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I can't see us deciding to travel overseas and if we did it wouldn't be with our children..as much as I love them lol. We prefer to travel within our own state

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been to Bali three times and haven't gotten any vaccines to travel there. I never got sick.

I went to Fiji, didn't get a vaccine. I was bitten by a mozzie over there and I had an allergic reaction. Now I have an allergy to mozzies here! I have to have antihistamines with me and a lot of repellant!

Me 👩 36; DF 👨 34
    DS 🐢 07/02/97
    DD 🐝 27/09/99
    DS 🐳 26/04/02
    DD 🐞 06/09/06
    DD 🐣 Due 03/12/14

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH and I always make sure our vaccinations are up to date before travelling, so we will definitely do the same for DS. So far we've only taken him to Western Europe so no special vaccines were required (beyond the normal childhood schedule).

However, I think we'll avoid travel to anywhere with malaria or yellow fever until he's much older.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 11-08-2014 at 00:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had a few interesting cases come up recently in relation to childhood vax, travel and employment.

Case 1 - young man, completely unvaxxed as child, wants to travel extensively through deveoping countries. Is at very high risk of VPD, so chooses to be vaccinated - many vaxs in a short period of time and costs well over $1000

Case 2 - 16yo, not vaxxed, parents separated, mum anti-vax and wont consent to her being vaxxed to travel to PNG (very high risk country) to visit wirh dad who lives there.

Case 3 - First-year nursing student, unvaxxed, can't go on prac unless vaccinated, all employers want evidence of immunity. Costs her big $$ to be vaccinated.

I guess these are some of the little thought about considerations or long-term implications of not having any childhood vaxs.

Thoughts? ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They should make vaccinations free for everyone given how great everyone feels they are? Wouldn't that increase herd immunity a hell of a lot as well..win win

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    When I applied to Queensland Health, I only had to provide immunity to Hep B. When I applied to NSW Health and I had to provide evidence of my MMR and DTP vax as well as immunity to Hep B. Not fun when you're searching for vaccination records that are 10+ years old!!.
    I have just been through something similar for my uni placement - so annoying looking for old vaccination records!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    We have had a few interesting cases come up recently in relation to childhood vax, travel and employment.

Case 1 - young man, completely unvaxxed as child, wants to travel extensively through deveoping countries. Is at very high risk of VPD, so chooses to be vaccinated - many vaxs in a short period of time and costs well over $1000

Case 2 - 16yo, not vaxxed, parents separated, mum anti-vax and wont consent to her being vaxxed to travel to PNG (very high risk country) to visit wirh dad who lives there.

Case 3 - First-year nursing student, unvaxxed, can't go on prac unless vaccinated, all employers want evidence of immunity. Costs her big $$ to be vaccinated.

I guess these are some of the little thought about considerations or long-term implications of not having any childhood vaxs.

Thoughts? ?

I am pro vax and have just had our travel vaccines done for Bali. Our kids were done too (hep A).

With regards to the examples you have above, I can't really see the issue with 1 or 3. Yes it's annoying to pay but I can't see people changing their minds about vaxxing just because their child may want to travel/study in a medical field. Number 2 is frustrating though for the 16 year old!