+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese Please View Post
    As an adult who had whooping cough at 10 weeks, and still suffers the long term complications of it (though is grateful to have survived), I am interested in this too. The doctors told my parents that the only likely reason I survived was because I had already had my first shot for it. This was 1985 though, so not sure how medically accurate that is now.

I think I saw a post by @Lillynix in this thread that said as a non-vaxxer she insists that any adults visiting her babies are fully up to date with their vaccines ... I'm genuinely curious; are the risks that sway people to not vax only applicable to infants? I don't know much about it.
    I'm sure that @Lillynix delays/selectively vaxxes, so that's a bit different. Generally (and this may or may not be LN's reason), they believe in vaxxing when a child's immune system is stronger and they will opt out of vaccines for vpds that either aren't very common anymore or that they perceive not to be high risk.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Cheese Please  (11-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only just started reading this post so I'm sorry if I offend anyone. Non vacs have you ever seen a child die from a illness that there is a vaccination for? Because I have and it's horrible. I am 100% for vaccinations and I am also 100% closed off to any reason as why people would not vaccinate their children.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mum2maisie For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (11-08-2014),Gentoo  (11-08-2014),KitiK  (11-08-2014),LaDiDah  (11-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I'm sure that @Lillynix delays/selectively vaxxes, so that's a bit different. Generally (and this may or may not be LN's reason), they believe in vaxxing when a child's immune system is stronger and they will opt out of vaccines for vpds that either aren't very common anymore or that they perceive not to be high risk.
    Ohhh that makes sense. And if strength of immune system is a factor, then it does make sense that generally adults would be less susceptible to whatever the risks are than infants.

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2maisie View Post
    I only just started reading this post so I'm sorry if I offend anyone. Non vacs have you ever seen a child die from a illness that there is a vaccination for? Because I have and it's horrible. I am 100% for vaccinations and I am also 100% closed off to any reason as why people would not vaccinate their children.
    I agree except that there are people who have allergies that prevent them from being immunised which is why herd immunity is so important. I also think that if you do all of the research and make the informed choice to not vaccinated, that's your decision to make. It's better to work towards giving people the information to help them come to a different decision than browbeating them for not making the "right" choice according to you.

I think you'll find this interesting (in a sad way), it's an interactive map of worldwide vaccine preventable deaths. I can't believe that in this day and age, people are dying of Polio.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-08-2014),LoveLivesHere  (11-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I will say that allergy or illness is the only excuse.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mum2maisie For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (11-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I am very pro vax. I also know if show someone facts, Answer their questions, talk to them pleasantly and respect their place as a child's parent and their ability to make to decision on their child's health. Don't expect them to justify to you their choice. You will get a lot further than beating them with fact and telling the their excuse is valid/not valid. Just using the word excuse if enough to put their backs up. I know it would mine.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (11-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Thanks redlipsandpearls, @Cheese Please this response is pretty much spot on for me and my stance. However I also know a few non-vaxxes who apply the same reasoning. But then I also k ow some that are just against all vaccinations all the time for everyone, regardless of age, so it's all so individual

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Cheese Please  (15-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As far as I can tell, non vaxxers can pretty much be broken up into two groups. Those who have valid reasons, like allergies, family history of reactions or children with cancer etc. And those who deny the mountains of scientific evidence or feel scared/worried about the vaccine - but with no real reason for the fear i.e - blowing vaccine reactions out of proportion and believing unsubstantiated claims by anti vax groups over science. The second type I find absolutely fascinating, there is no basis whatsoever to many of their claims but even when there is no evidence, people believe it. I find it really strange to be honest. I would never just believe things I read on the internet. Anyone can say anything! It seems that critical thinking skills are lacking in this group.

PS - I am not trying to be offensive at all - it is an observation, based on years of debating vaccines with anti vaxxers and reading sources, articles and websites quoted by the other side when talking about why they don't vaccinate.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (14-08-2014),Cheese Please  (15-08-2014),LaDiDah  (14-08-2014),Mokeybear  (14-08-2014),SHAELEEJANE  (14-08-2014),snowqu33n  (14-08-2014),Wise Enough  (14-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    Genuine question for a non vaxer - when you have a newborn have you yourselves and others who will be close to bub been vaxed for whooping cough?

I feared whooping cough so much before my babies were 6 weeks old after seeing what it did to my best friend who is an adult.
    Yes, I did. Both my husband and I, grandparents, aunties and uncles are up to date with our vaccinations. However I am not anti-vax, just delayed vaccinations for my third child due to medical issues that my first two children have. I am not going to say what the reasons are, as I don't want my post to be picked apart and be harassed for my choices, but I went to my GP for advice and information and whilst she openly stated she'd rather my baby was vaxxed to the schedule, she understood why I was hesitating and supported my decision. We took extra precautions in order to try and prevent our baby from getting sick. He didn't get sick, thankfully.
    My third starts school next year and will be fully vaxxed in time for school. He just his 4 year old MMR to get, but he got the first one just before he started pre-school so not due for the booster yet. He has been vaxxed for everything else.
    I can't say I would do the same if I had another baby...I really don't know what I'd do. My youngest is nearly 5 and at the time we looked in to reported cases of VPD in our area and we looked at when was 'peak' season for the VPD incase he was going to be born in a time of extra risk. These factors would need to be reconsidered. I have a child with a medical condition that could easily be fatal, and I can't say either way whether the vaccinations was a trigger for this medical condition or not. All I now know is that my older two showed signs of this medical condition with two weeks of their 4 month vaccinations. My second child has since been cleared of the medical condition, but my oldest still lives with it every day. My youngest was vaccinated on a delayed schedule from 6 months old and does not have the medical condition my oldest does. Perhaps he wouldn't have had it anyway, but there's no way of knowing so I would have to weigh up whether I potentially risk my newborn getting a VPD and the variations of sickness that could come from that, or to potentially trigger something in my baby's immature system and risk giving them a potentially fatal medical condition. It was never an easy choice to make, and I'm glad I won't ever have to make it again.

Please don't quote, because if this turns in to a post that people can start attacking me for then I will delete it. I have zero interest in getting in to a debate about this.
    Last edited by Full House; 15-08-2014 at 10:29.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (15-08-2014)