+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Naboo View Post
    Why is it ok to get a tetnus shot but not diptheria? Or am I missing something? I mean if one is anti vax wouldn't all vaxines be off the agenda?
    I am happy to give a VAX is there is an immediate need for one...in this case, she stood on a rusty needle so there was a need to have it. If she had whooping cough or diphtheria I would consent to treatment for it.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    I If she had whooping cough or diphtheria I would consent to treatment for it.
    I'm pretty sure these shots are preventative not for treatment? So once a child has WC the vax may help with them not getting that strain again, but it won't help them currently having WC.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (10-08-2014),atomicmama  (10-08-2014),Jakois  (10-08-2014),Lauzy  (10-08-2014),Mopoke  (10-08-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (10-08-2014),sjay  (10-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I agree that the nurse should have advised what was in the injection.
    OP did she advise you of the possible reactions and give you an vaccine information sheet?

I can see where @delirium is coming from though.
    I have heard some non-vaxxers say that they are very informed and mention things like, "I'm educated and I've done my research instead of just following what the doctors say. Did you know that each vaccine contains all of these ingredients [insert list]? And you can't even get single vaccine for tetanus...etc"

Not saying that this is what the OP has ever said, but some non-vaxxers do cite the lack of single/separate vaccines in Australia as one of the reasons they have chosen not to vaccinate ("too many things in one vaccine overloading their system and they don't offer them as single vaccines").

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm pretty sure these shots are preventative not for treatment? So once a child has WC the vax may help with them not getting that strain again, but it won't help them currently having WC.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking? It's hard to provent something when you already have it. I guess I just would rather be safe than sorry. But in answer to the OP question, maybe the hospital thought as you were ok with one vaxine that you were ok with all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't vax, I'd feel that I'd been mislead too, especially since you asked.
    I personally wouldn't have taken the shot anyway, but I had to have shots 10 years ago because I thought I was going overseas and it was tetanus. At that point I'm sure it was only tetanus, I wasn't told there was anything else in with it. So if I did consent to my kid getting a tetanus shot and the dr said yes it's just for tetanus then I would have assumed that was true.
    I would file a complaint based on what else are they not telling people when asked a simple question?
    Sure this time there were no ill effects but what if it were something more serious?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Harriet  (10-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apparently adults get the tetanus vax, and children under 7 get the combo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    I am happy to give a VAX is there is an immediate need for one...in this case, she stood on a rusty needle so there was a need to have it. If she had whooping cough or diphtheria I would consent to treatment for it.

If your daughter contracted one of the above diseases like whooping cough you would be consenting to treatment for symptoms and not a vaccination which is aimed at preventing.

In answer to the original question, no I would not be upset as I am pro BUT I think as a non-vaxxer you should be aware of what you are saying no to and why. Drs and nurses have a duty of care to gain INFORMED consent, however in this instance I think it may have been a misunderstanding where your question was misinterpreted.

I also do not think the reference to a catch up plan is judgey. Vaccinations are being pushed in my area at the moment as some places are sitting on only 85%. Officials are just using all opportunities to increase vax rates. And they are obviously not aware of why you choose not to vax, again it is within their duty of care to provide you with the opportunity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (10-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    I don't vax, I'd feel that I'd been mislead too, especially since you asked.
    I personally wouldn't have taken the shot anyway, but I had to have shots 10 years ago because I thought I was going overseas and it was tetanus. At that point I'm sure it was only tetanus, I wasn't told there was anything else in with it. So if I did consent to my kid getting a tetanus shot and the dr said yes it's just for tetanus then I would have assumed that was true.
    I would file a complaint based on what else are they not telling people when asked a simple question?
    Sure this time there were no ill effects but what if it were something more serious?
    This exactly. As I had said we don't VAX, it was almost as if they took the opportunity to VAX my child without full consent. I just feel like they didn't give me all the info and wat if someone else comes along and they don't give them the full information and something bad happens.

Last edited by loislane2010; 10-08-2014 at 14:34.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (10-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmissy View Post
    Apparently adults get the tetanus vax, and children under 7 get the combo.

I don't believe there is a single Tetanus vaccine currently offered in Australia.

The Australia Government Department of Health website states:

"Tetanus toxoid is available in Australia only in combination with diphtheria and other antigens"

The ADT booster is given to adults but is a Tetanus-Diptheria vaccine
    Last edited by sky1; 10-08-2014 at 14:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sky1 View Post
    I don't believe there is a single Tetanus vaccine currently offered in Australia.

The Australia Government Department of Health website states:

"Tetanus toxoid is available in Australia only in combination with diphtheria and other antigens"
    Then the dr/nurse could have taken two seconds to say no it's not just tetanus so the parent can make an informed decision.
    Poor show on the hospitals behalf IMO.