+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In my mind the issue isn't about what the OP does or doesn't know about the vaccinations. The onus should be on the drs to provide accurate and complete information to ensure a patient/guardian understands what they are being given. There should not be an assumption the someone knows about these things - lots of people may not for various reasons.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (10-08-2014),Bluebirdgirl  (10-08-2014),ElizaDoLittle  (10-08-2014),GingerKat  (10-08-2014),headoverfeet  (10-08-2014),Jodes35  (10-08-2014),kbf2plus2  (10-08-2014),LoveLivesHere  (10-08-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (10-08-2014),smallpotatoes  (10-08-2014),Sunnybambino  (10-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    In my mind the issue isn't about what the OP does or doesn't know about the vaccinations. The onus should be on the drs to provide accurate and complete information to ensure a patient/guardian understands what they are being given. There should not be an assumption the someone knows about these things - lots of people may not for various reasons.
    Yes, I agree the hospital should have been honest and factual, I'm not condoning their behaviour (although I suspect they may have been concerned about getting in trouble or sued if the child did get tetanus and it was seen they breached their duty of care by not giving the child the shot).

But I would also expect that someone who is making major decisions about their child's health which also affects the whole community would educate themselves on what is actually in the injections (given one of the major cons for anti vaxxers is the amount of infections being treated in one shot and the potential overload to the system).

I'm not blaming this on the OP. The hospital is at fault. But I do think it's important for her to be informed on the basics if she chooses not to vax.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (10-08-2014),Ashfirst  (10-08-2014),atomicmama  (10-08-2014),KitiK  (10-08-2014),Mokeybear  (10-08-2014),Purple Lily  (10-08-2014),RastaMouse  (10-08-2014),RipperRita  (10-08-2014),SHAELEEJANE  (10-08-2014),VicPark  (10-08-2014),Vonnie89  (10-08-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't have been. Although I'm from the school of thought that (probably naively) trusts doctors and very rarely questions what they suggest. My own personal limit is probably avoiding antibiotics where possible. But if they had said to me that this was the treatment needed, I myself would have just accepted it. Also, I am pro-vax, so for me this scenario in particular wouldn't have been an issue.

Given your values, though, I can see why you're personally upset. To me it doesn't come across as malicious - more Ike someone who hadn't fully understood the question you were asking. It would be interesting to hear what they would have responded if you had phrased your question as 'what exactly is in this needle?' or something like that. And I have to say, I do find the comment about the GP contacting you for an immunization plan rather...judgemental? Presumptuous? But perhaps it's protocol, I'm not sure.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (10-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    With the tetanus vaccine - it has to be given in 3 doses to be effective - so I assume that's what they meant by the follow up immunisations - they need to give her 2 more doses to be protected otherwise I think it's not really doing anything

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (10-08-2014),harvs  (10-08-2014),LoveLivesHere  (10-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am pro-vac but I 100% agree with the OP. You absolutely should be very upset. You clearly asked if it was 'just tetanus' and you were then given an incorrect answer. This vaccination was therefore given to your child without informed consent. Wether this incorrect information was given maliciously or because the person was themself unaware is besides the point. The fact that a tetanus only vac does not exist is also irrelevant. It is the health care providers responsibility to ensure that they know what they are talking about and that your consent is well informed. I very strongly suggest that you follow this up with the consumer liaison at the hospital and demand that they respond to your concerns. This does not have to be done aggressively but it is very important to all of us that when we entrust our childrens wellbeing to health care providers that we can trust that they are answering our very reasonable questions honestly and competently.
    I know this is a bit different because the op child has not been harmed but how would you all feel of your child (who is allergic to nuts) was offered a fruit smoothy to drink. You asked the person offering it "is this only fruit?" The person replied "yes it is". Then after drinking it they say well it was fruit and cashews blended up because I thought some added protein in the drink would be good for your child. What you all be ok with this???

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (10-08-2014),Bluebirdgirl  (10-08-2014),headoverfeet  (10-08-2014),Jodes35  (10-08-2014),kbf2plus2  (10-08-2014),Stretched  (10-08-2014),Sunnybambino  (10-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To answer the question would I be upset , no I wouldn't be. I would thank god we have a prevention available for tetanus.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (11-08-2014),LaDiDah  (10-08-2014),peanutmonkey  (10-08-2014),sjay  (10-08-2014)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

But I would also expect that someone who is making major decisions about their child's health which also affects the whole community would educate themselves on what is actually in the injections (given one of the major cons for anti vaxxers is the amount of infections being treated in one shot and the potential overload to the system).

I'm not blaming this on the OP. The hospital is at fault. But I do think it's important for her to be informed on the basics if she chooses not to vax.
    As an anti/selective vaxxer one of the last things on my mind is the exact combo of shots, becasue um.... my child doesn't get them!! Additionally, the combinations of shots seems to change at the drop of a hat, it is really the most irrelevant thing to bring up Delirium!

The OP should definitely have been informed exactly what was in the shot.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (10-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkingMaid View Post
    As an anti/selective vaxxer one of the last things on my mind is the exact combo of shots, becasue um.... my child doesn't get them!! Additionally, the combinations of shots seems to change at the drop of a hat, it is really the most irrelevant thing to bring up Delirium!

The OP should definitely have been informed exactly what was in the shot.
    I think it's extremely relevant. How can you make an informed decision to not vax as a parent without understanding very basic facts about vaxxing?

That would be like me deciding to bottle feed from birth without understanding the role of colostrum then telling people since I had made that decision that fact was moot.

ETA another reason my point is relevant is the fact the OP was fine with the tetanus shot but not the Dip/WC and others. Which tells me pretty clearly she has an issue with multiple vax shots (which is valid). Therefore if you have concerns about several vaxxes in one injection surely you would educate yourself on the basics of which needle has what in it?
    Last edited by delirium; 10-08-2014 at 13:52.

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (10-08-2014),Anjalee  (10-08-2014),Ashfirst  (10-08-2014),haveheart  (11-08-2014),Jakois  (10-08-2014),NurseAnni  (10-08-2014),peanutmonkey  (10-08-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (10-08-2014),RastaMouse  (10-08-2014),SHAELEEJANE  (10-08-2014),VicPark  (10-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    I am pro-vac but I 100% agree with the OP. You absolutely should be very upset. You clearly asked if it was 'just tetanus' and you were then given an incorrect answer. This vaccination was therefore given to your child without informed consent. Wether this incorrect information was given maliciously or because the person was themself unaware is besides the point. The fact that a tetanus only vac does not exist is also irrelevant. It is the health care providers responsibility to ensure that they know what they are talking about and that your consent is well informed. I very strongly suggest that you follow this up with the consumer liaison at the hospital and demand that they respond to your concerns. This does not have to be done aggressively but it is very important to all of us that when we entrust our childrens wellbeing to health care providers that we can trust that they are answering our very reasonable questions honestly and competently.
    I know this is a bit different because the op child has not been harmed but how would you all feel of your child (who is allergic to nuts) was offered a fruit smoothy to drink. You asked the person offering it "is this only fruit?" The person replied "yes it is". Then after drinking it they say well it was fruit and cashews blended up because I thought some added protein in the drink would be good for your child. What you all be ok with this???
    I agree with this 100%, well said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Why is it ok to get a tetnus shot but not diptheria? Or am I missing something? I mean if one is anti vax wouldn't all vaxines be off the agenda?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naboo For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (10-08-2014),SpecialK  (10-08-2014)