My second pregnancy began much easier than my first but when I started suffering from SPD at 14 weeks I knew what I was in for and was more than ready for bub to evacuate by the end - I just never expected it to happen the way it did.
I live in a small country town and was considered high risk for the town hospital so if anything was indicating that my labour would be difficult then I would be sent to Canberra to deliver as I had been with my first.
I had been in pre-labour (getting big blocks of painful contractions especially in my back) for a week but because bub was posterior he wasn't hitting my cervix quite enough to get things going.
The doctor decided to do a stretch and sweep at 39 weeks and said my cervix was soft and i was dilated to around 2cm. I had a show later that day and continued to from then on.
All the midwives said that they expected to see me in to give birth any day. I was in and out of the hospital from then until I had bub for pain relief and monitoring. Bub pushing against my back and SPD do not mix!
They did a scan at 39+5 to check bubs size, position and my fluid levels. Bub was measuring around 8 and a half pounds, still OP and fluid was great.
They decided to book an induction date for 9 days past my due date and continue to monitor me until then.
On my due date my contractions seemed to ramp up slightly and I had them consistently every 3-4 minutes all day. They didn't get closer or more painful through the day, just continued the same. They were so low in my pelvis I couldn't even decide if they counted as normal contractions I'd never felt anything like it.
I had another big show at around 9pm and thought my waters broke so I called the midwives and they said to come in as I was GBS positive and needed the antibiotics if they had.
I went in and went on the monitor which wasn't picking up my contractions which were all so low in my pelvis and back.
What it did pick up was that every time I had one bubs heart rate was dropping a lot. Sometimes getting down in the 60 ' s.
So they did an internal to see what was going on and decided I wasn't in labour - still only 2 - 3cm, cervix posterior and bub way up - but they were obviously concerned about the dip. This was at 11 pm.
So they called the Dr in and he said he was going to do an internal which he did and broke my waters at the same time and I was 5 cm! This was at 12 am. He said I had 1 hour to have him on my own or I had to have a c-section! I was like 'Oh hell to the no!'
At 1252am on the 8th of August 2014 our second little dude joined our family. I delivered him with 8 minutes to spare! I used gas and air for about 3 contractions and I hated it. It made it too hard to focus my breathing.
The Dr used the vacuum for the last push but said the next morning that he didn't actually need to he just put it on to be safe as bubs heart had dropped low and wasn't coming back up.
Bub had some breathing difficulties and was nearly put in the humidicrib but after some mummy cuddles and a feed he was doing much better and was able to stay with us.
It was pretty freakin scary. I keep thinking 'what if I hadn't thought my water had broken?' I wouldn't have gone in...and we likely would have lost him. We were so lucky, minutes would have made such a difference.
But he is here, he is safe, he is loved.
He is 3650, HC is 35, 50cm long and delicious ♡