+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Congratulations
    Wishing you and your new little guy an uneventful journey through nicu ♥

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flower78 View Post
    Well ladies he is here at 31 weeks 1day! I felt he wasn't moving like normal yesterday afternoon, and went in for a ctg. He had a prolonged bradycardia and so Craig came in to deliver him last night.
    our baby boy is just amazingly beautiful, 970g only, unfortunately despite the steroids has breathing problems, so he's on the ventilator. We are hoping it will only be a couple of days but taking each day as it comes. Expressing is going well so far, and so glad I had all your advice about what would happen as it made it feel more familiar.
    Back to the nursery now after a nap, to see how our brave boy is going.
    Congratulations flower78 on the birth of your sweet baby boy. Does he have a name yet?

I hope your journey through the nicu/scn is uncomplicated and you get to take your sweet boy home ASAP.

Ask as many questions as you like. The drs/nurses at kemh are brilliant!
    Also, I'm more than happy to point you in the direction of a couple of great support groups! Feel free to PM. Xx

Sending love and wishes to you and your family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had a pretty difficult day though I expect this to be business as usual after a while! Baby M is still really struggling with his breathing despite the ventilator, and seems the lungs aren't better like they were hoping they would be by today. He has started treatment for a patent ductus arteriosus and on antibiotics. It's so hard to see him upset, little arms going everywhere but we have been able to touch and calm him. Still no proper cuddle, would love him to be well enough for a hold.

My expressing is going ok, getting colostrum but no milk yet hoping soon. He's not allowed any yet getting everything IV.

I have been been pretty teary today and overnight but expect that's pretty usual in the circumstances - DP will keep an eye on me. I think I will be home tomorrow which will be nice for not being alone at night, though it's nice to go to my room to rest between visits. Not sure how my stamina will be sitting in the nursery for long periods.

Thanks for for all the kind words, we've had lots of support which I have needed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    Sorry to hear about the breathing problems. It is a real rollercoaster ride.

My DD3 was 860 grams at 30 + 5. So a similar size and gestation to your DS. The nurses in the NICU told me that anecdotally the IUGR babies tend to do well in the the NICU as they were fighting to survive in utero and come out fighting.

DD3 also had a PDA. She was supposed to have surgery for it, but the surgery was cancelled at the last minute as it shrunk from large to small on it's own accord and fully closed when she got older. She was on antibiotics for the first 24 hours or so and had a longline with TPN for a few weeks. I can't remember how old she was when they started her on colustrum - maybe 48 hours?? They started off with very small amounts - about 1 ml every 4 hours or so.

Getting your milk to come in with a pump is tricky and not something I enjoyed at all. I found I had better results when I pumped beside DD.
    Excellent post Hun!

Expressing by the bedside in the nicu is a great idea. Also, of they've got DS's in a little beanie, take the one off he's got, get nurses to grab a new one and take the old one with you. I found that helped me with my milk as my dd had worn it and it smelt all baby like. (If you know what I mean.)

If you can't physically be beside his bed (it gets sooo got in the nicu!) take lots of pics and look at them whilst your expressing! That also helps bring milk in faster.

They will store the milk until he's ready to feed. Keep that supply up by drinking lots of water, and eating healthy.

Are they treating his PDA with Ibuprofen? You'll find once that is closed, his breathing will improve significantly!

Look after yourselves xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big hugs hun

My colostrum took at least 3 full days to come in and milk another day after that, getting colostrum is a fantastic start! You'll get there with the milk, PP's advice about expressing at bedside or with something of bubs is great.

It's a very emotional time, let yourself cry, ignore any of your family or friends that are trying to shower massive congratulations and don't understand the situation. Let yourself grieve as well, you may feel like you don't deserve to because he is here, but it is a grieving process for the rest of your pregnancy that you have missed and the 'take-home baby'.

But at the same time as that grieving, know that it CAN turn out OK. Read some success stories and ask lots and lots of questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default Expecting premature delivery 32-34 weeks- any advice to prepare?

Congratulations, @Flower78! What a little fighter you've got and how quickly he's arrived!

What @crankyoldcow said is what my friend who's a doctor told me as well. She said that in her experience the bubs that come out early due to issues tend to fare better than the ones who come early due to pre-term labour.

Keep expressing as hard as it is and as the girls said try and do it at his bedside if you can. Personally, I got better results in my own room with a picture of him than in the busy nursery, I just relaxed better in my "own space". I also had a few muslin wraps that I either had under my top next to my body or wrapped him in. I would switch them between us so he was wrapped in muslin I'd worn and I had one that he'd previously been wrapped in.

I hope he's well enough for you to have a hold soon, skin to skin/kangaroo care has been proven to be really beneficial for premmies but just in general, my heart breaks for you that you haven't gotten to hold him yet. Like @GM01 said, it's hard being on the ward and seeing all those mums who get to have their bubs with them and a certain amount of grieving will happen in time over what you missed out on but I know that at the stage you're at now, I was just running on auto-pilot and doing whatever I had to do in whatever moment I was in!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is a fiesty boy, it's nice to hear that the iugr babies can do better. Unfortunately his lungs just seem really bad, and infection markers going up. The worst part to watch is him getting upset and he fights the ventilator and stops breathing, goes all dusky for ages. The nurses are calm but I just feel so helpless, I want to help him but I can't. They are talking about changing his ventilation settings so he can be more comfortable, nothing has made a difference so far, I think they don't know what else to do but wait.

Thanks for the feeding advice. Expressing is progressing quite well, I tried next to the bed but found it too stressful looking at all the monitors beeping and I have done better in a quiet spot with a nice picture.

fallen in a bit of a heap today with going home. I know it's early days but I just want some good news you know? I still haven't held him and it makes it feel like I haven't really had a baby of mine. Sorry to be so down, I know others have it harder than me. Many friends and family have sent congratulations and flowers, it's both nice but also hard as I don't think they realise how sick he is. It reminds me how happy I should be right now if things were different.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flower78 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Huge hugs to you! It really is such a tough time and the grief that you feel is very real because you have lost a normal, term pregnancy, lost the normal being in hospital with your baby surrounded by visitors and that bloody hurts!

I so hope your little man stabilises and you're able to get that precious first cuddle ASAP - it will be worth the wait, I promise.

If you ever want to talk to anyone, you can pm me anytime - it feels like just yesterday that I was in your situation but my boy is nearly three now and has had no long term issues after his intubation and breathing difficulties, so know that in time, your precious boy will be doing all the regular baby things.

Take care xx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Flower78  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Flower78 how are you going Hun? I've been thinking of you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LysnDan For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (28-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default Expecting premature delivery 32-34 weeks- any advice to prepare?

Oh hun, I hope you get to hold him soon! It's hard when they're in the nursery and they feel like they're not "yours". He's in the absolute best hands where he is, his lungs will be getting stronger every day!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast