+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My little girl was born at kemh in 2011 3 months early. She was born due to PE and my placenta was not functioning as it should have. (Absent end diastolic flow) they estimated her weight to be higher than 900 grams but when she was born she was 850 grams.

Pack a hospital bag just in case and have it in the car. I got caught out at my antenatal check up and ended up delivering via c section that night.
    It can all happen very fast. A few things I wished I packed were comfy pjs, breast pads, and maternity pads that weren't like surfboards like the hospital provide lol a nice handcream, toiletries (I felt like death so wanted to look decent for visitors, although none came apart from hubby and my and his mums) and a notepad and pen.

If you can, ask to see the special care nursery. They should be able to let you look thru the doors. When bub is born it's most likely going to be connected to monitors and have leads running all over it's body. Machines will be beeping and flashing, don't be afraid to ask the nurses (as many times as you like) the same questions " what's that whys that doing that" etc

We were in the nicu and scns past her due date because she was born at such a low birth weight and was so early.

I am not sure being close to term (37w) if they'd give you steroids for bubs lungs. But if you show signs of needing them (delivery any earlier than 32w) then they will give them. Craig knows that he's doing, he delivers a lot of prems (and full termers) and looks after mums so well.

Best of luck! I hope you can hold on longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LysnDan View Post
    I am not sure being close to term (37w) if they'd give you steroids for bubs lungs. But if you show signs of needing them (delivery any earlier than 32w) then they will give them. Craig knows that he's doing, he delivers a lot of prems (and full termers) and looks after mums so well.
    Some OBs will give the two-dose steroid injections to mothers quite far along now, 35-36 weeks included.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

LysnDan  (10-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They gave me the steroids Friday and yesterday just in case he needs to come quickly- I guess there's often not much warning. Had anothe ctg today as he was quiet but all was fine. The midwives at KEMH were so reassuring too.

Getting onto packing my hospital bag, thanks @LysnDan, really appreciating the advice and support.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Flower78 For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (10-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going along quite well thanks @crankyoldcow. Monitoring all stable and blood flow good on ultrasound Friday. They're waiting to re measure his growth next Friday, apparently too inaccurate weekly. So hoping he's growing. BP has been a bit up but better on higher meds so I'm staying positive we might get to 34 weeks, 30 weeks now.

I've packed my hospital bag, and booked in a tour of the NICU. Looked at getting some prem baby clothes but thought I might wait til I see what size he is. All the websites suggested have been really helpful so I'm feeling a bit more prepared, thanks to you all! Will update any news.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flower78 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (17-08-2014),HappyBovinexx  (17-08-2014),misskittyfantastico  (17-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a quick update. Ultrasound today showed he had put on a little weight, estimated 1.2kg now but it was about a third of what he should have put on. The placenta is looking more calcified too. They're still hoping to get him to 34 weeks but after that no benefit in longer gestation given his poor growth.

So still on the waiting game at home, finding it quite stressful and kind of looking forward to him being delivered so I can see him and know exactly what's going on!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flower78 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (22-08-2014),atomicmama  (22-08-2014),HappyBovinexx  (22-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Keeping my fingers crossed that he can stay in there a little longer!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Flower78  (22-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I hope your little one can stay put for as long as possible!! Thinking of you both xx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Flower78  (22-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Thinking of you flower!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

Flower78  (22-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default Expecting premature delivery 32-34 weeks- any advice to prepare?

@Flower78, are you still seeing Craig? He delivered my 34 weeker in February due to pre-eclampsia and he is absolutely amazing. I cannot say enough good things about him and KEMH, you're in the best of hands.

As for when you get to see bub, I was taken to ASCU on a magnesium sulfate drip so I didn't get to see him till the next day but for a healthy mum I'm sure it's much different. DH went down to the HDU (skipped NICU because DS had no breathing problems) and the midwife there took a photo of DS and printed it out for me.

I think the big thing is to take your hospital bag to all appointments from here on in. I was diagnosed with pre-e at a standard OB appointment so had nothing with me and wasn't prepared at all!

The other thing is that they don't tell you how exhausting it is to breastfeed a baby in the nursery. I did it three hourly and tried not to skip any feeds (if I skipped going down for a feed, I still had to wake up and express in my room). As an example, for an 11pm feed I would be down at the nursery by 10:45pm to change his nappy. Then I would attempt breastfeeding for about 10-15minutes, then I would hold him while they tube fed him which was another 10-15 minutes, then I would wrap him back up and put him down, get dressed and go back to my room. There I would express for 15 minutes, clean up and get in bed. By that time it would be about 12am and I would try to get some sleep before getting up at 1:30am to repeat the process for the 2am feed.

Do yourself a favour and get the Medela expressing bra, it's about $70 but so worthwhile. You can alternatively get a cheapie bra and cut holes in it but for those overnight expressing sessions...WAY WAY easier to have something else holding the cups, especially when you're dead on your feet!
    Last edited by Apple iPhart6; 22-08-2014 at 15:48.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Flower78  (22-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies! I'm hoping he at least gets to 32 weeks, told today they have a much better outcome for breathing etc then. Anything extra is bonus....
    @Goblin Queen yes I saw Craig today, he is great. Explained everything really well, including what to expect baby will need in special care. I have a medela breast pump, where do you buy the expressing bra I haven't noticed them?
    I saw on the posters at KEMH that stay after c-section is only three nights, seems really soon to go home. Might stay with my in-laws a while as they live really close by the hospital, better if I can't drive after the caesarean.