+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I understand what it's like in country towns. It's all a bit 'car seats optional' and I've even seen kids rock up to school in wagon backs. So I can understand how frustrating it is feeling like a driving teetotaller!

Do you have a pram with a rain cover? When I walked (a lot!) with DD in Canada's winter (down to minus 20) the rain cover was really important in keeping her from breathing in too much icy air. It was easier to rug her up in the pram too as I could line it with a blanket then wrap a blanket over her legs and feet as well.

As an extra incentive for you, to help you get up 30 minutes early, remember that you could potentially be charged with child endangerment in a scenario like this (not sure on the laws exactly though), which would mean bye bye teaching career. Even if you weren't charged with anything, it could still do lasting damage to your reputation as someone responsible for children.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

harvs  (08-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I live about the same distance to our child care, but it's not what I would call an easy drive (I drive as I leave straight for work, the two or three occasions I have not been going to work straight after I have walked). The car park is busy and there are kids and parents everywhere, you need to be a confident driver and parker (it might not be like this in a country area)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't do it purely because it's illegal. It's reason enough for me. I am a stickler for the rules. I can't very well whinge about other people breaking the rules if I break them myself...
    - oh and I would Absolutley Dob in a 14 year old who was driving on the streets!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (09-08-2014),headoverfeet  (08-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I wouldn't do it purely because it's illegal. It's reason enough for me. I am a stickler for the rules. I can't very well whinge about other people breaking the rules if I break them myself...
    Yep this is me exactly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    No I wouldn't. I live rurally and people do all sorts of things that I don't think are very sensible because of the usual "no traffic, been driving since I was two etc..." reasons and some have paid with their lives. So not worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't, but I totally get the driving culture of country towns, and I think people who have never lived in the country sometimes don't understand what it is like. Where I grew up, 10 year olds would hop in the ute and drive it across the farm unsupervised, and 14 year olds were driving on the roads. Not just one or two, but most. Dobbing in one person would do nothing, generally the local copper knows that it happens, and even if he tried to pull over every underage driver, everyone knows when the copper is off duty and having a beer at the pub, and they take advantage of that. So I do understand the temptation! But I am not a rule breaker, so I would just walk.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (08-08-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    - oh and I would Absolutley Dob in a 14 year old who was driving on the streets!
    I get that, because I'm naturally a rather compliant person. Just wondering, would you bend your rules for anything.? So, if you were me, and something happened to DS which would necessitate urgently getting him to a hospital after 10pm, when there are no taxis and an ambulance can be a long way away, sometimes the nearest dispatch is Adelaide so at least 2 hours wait...what would you do? The hospital is a five minute drive from my place.

Would you risk it and drive? Pick him up and run?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nope not at all. Tbh if I knew someone was doing it I'd probably report them, and yes I've struggled with no car through winter heavily pregnant with a 2 and 3yr old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I get that, because I'm naturally a rather compliant person. Just wondering, would you bend your rules for anything.? So, if you were me, and something happened to DS which would necessitate urgently getting him to a hospital after 10pm, when there are no taxis and an ambulance can be a long way away, sometimes the nearest dispatch is Adelaide so at least 2 hours wait...what would you do? The hospital is a five minute drive from my place.

Would you risk it and drive? Pick him up and run?
    When I was 16 I got my learners because I needed it for identification and it was only 15$ to take the test. I really wasn't ready to learn to drive and I wanted to learn an automatic instead of manual. My dad pressured me like you would not believe to get my license. Constantly throwing the same scenarios like 'what would you do if your friend took you camping out of reception and there was an emergency requiring you to drive?'. This was my motivation to get my license even though I REALLY didn't want to. My dad didn't end up teaching me. I had to get a job and take lessons right up until I took my test!

If an emergency I think I would risk it. I would also honestly contemplate that I might make the emergency even worse by crashing the car. But my instinct to help DD wouldn't let me think rationally and I'd have her balled up in the car ASAP. I would in all honestly probably call 000 and let them know it is an emergency and I'm taking the car license or not. If they sent the cops after me, all the better, because they'd take her straight to ER with lights flashing and I'd take all the fines and demerit points/ loss of license just to ensure DD was okay.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (09-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was 17 with no regard for the law or consequences, I admit I drove on my L's. Now I'm a mature adult, no way would I do it, aside from breaking the law, your insurance is void, if you were involved in an accident you would be sued. Just not worth it IMO.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (09-08-2014)