+ Reply to Thread

Default Centrelink Newstart taking more than 1 month, so far....

Has anyone experienced this?:

I was last on Newstart in 2012, where everything was done, completed and finalised all at my Local Office on-the-day.

However, I have recently found myself unemployed and assumed my Local Office would complete everything, and in a timely manner.

Boy was I wrong!!!!

I went in and was told straight away that I am required by my local Centrelink office (WoyWoy, NSW Central Coast) to lodge a new Claim all Online via the website. They refused to process it, right there and then, even though I had all my paperwork with me - Separation Certification, ID, etc.]

They said all Claims must now be lodged 100% Online, and one of the 3 computers in the corner.

so, Whats the point of a Centrelink Local office?

Anyway, I lodged everything Online and scanned all my Doumentation with my iPhone at home and lodged my 100 points if Id ID at the Woy Woy Office, on July 4th, 2014 as requested.

On July 29th, they Rejected my claim by postal mail saying my Separation Certification scan was unclear and unreadable.

So, again, I went into the local WoyWoy Office with my Separation Certificate, which they promptly scanned, and then I asked them "When will my Claim, finally, be Finalised???"

They said "We cannot do anything for you here at the Local Office, as all New Claims are done centrally by the TASMANIAN NEW CLAIMS PROCESSING TEAM and it is impossible for us to take over the Processing of any Claims once you have lodged Online."

Furthermore, she rang the Tasmanian Team and no-one picked up the phone despite trying 3 times, about 3:30pm on a Tuesday! She said to try the Call-Centre on 132850 from home.

Again, I ask What is the point of a Local Centrelink Office anymore if they can't help???

I rang 132850 that very afternoon, and the very nice call-centre dude rang their Tasmanian Processing Team Leader who told him that they currently have a backlog of 4,000+ New Claims outstanding!!!

To date, my New Claim ***STILL*** hasn't been finalised! (1 month and 4 days later so far!)

No-one has ever called me by phone from Centrelink. Infact, The only correspondance I have had from them is that initial Rejection letter.

I have spoken to my Local Federal Member and her staff who promised to follow up, but as she is a Liberal, I don't expect much help from her.

I think (conspiracy theory here) that this is Liberal's way of closing their Budget black hole. Delay and deny people lodging all New Claims.

Who is the Opposition Minister for Social Security?

How long has it taken you guys to get a New Claim finalized?

Has anyone gone to the Commonwealth Ombudsman and been successful in getting them to process a New Claim quicker?

Can anyone else help in forcing the Tasmanian office to just do their job???

Last edited by alexportnoy; 08-08-2014 at 18:37.

You can't "force" anyone to do their job. As someone who use to work for centrelink, I know how understaffed and under appreciated the staff are.
    You need to call the newstart line and lodge an appeal against the rejection of your claim. They need to finalise any appeal within 28 days. This will at least get someone to look at the claim within 24 hours.
    Your payments should be back dated to when you lodged your claim.