+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's not anything fancy! I usually use what I have in the fridge so I'll sauté one chopped onion in some Olive oil and garlic, spring onion if it's all I have.

While that's going I chop my veg last time i used zuchinni, carrot, sweet potato, potato, capsicum, squash, broccoli, fresh tomato, leek but really whatever is in the fridge. I throw the veg into the slow cooker, add the onions, usually a tin of lentils or chickpeas, and one or two tins of chopped tomatoes. Then I add in maybe half a cup of stock, or more if I need it (slow cooker is generally overflowing by now) salt and pepper and cook it all day. I keep stiring it during the day and I'll add some salt, some onion powder and a shake of turmeric and cumin powder. Really just whatever taste you prefer.

You can also just cook it on a pot on the stove. When it's done we have it over brown rice or on its own with Greek yoghurt or sour cream on top. I take a few big scoops and throw it in the nutribullet and blend, then I use that as pasta sauce and add cheese for my 3 year old, it's really flavourful and I feel like he's at least getting some veg! The rest i freeze in small portions of sauce for him. It's got quite a tomato flavour when blended.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 21-10-2016 at 13:48.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (21-10-2016),dollypops  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awesome ideas ladies! Everything sounds so yummy.
    When batch cooking things like sausage rolls or scrolls or mini quiches, would you freeze individually or all in one container?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMummaButterfly View Post
    Awesome ideas ladies! Everything sounds so yummy.
    When batch cooking things like sausage rolls or scrolls or mini quiches, would you freeze individually or all in one container?
    For sausage rolls I make them up then freeze on trays and then put then in smaller snap lock bags, so when I cook them for lunch or dinner I just pull out a couple and put into oven. Other smaller size portioned food i freeze on trays first then transfer to smaller containers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    For sausage rolls I make them up then freeze on trays and then put then in smaller snap lock bags, so when I cook them for lunch or dinner I just pull out a couple and put into oven. Other smaller size portioned food i freeze on trays first then transfer to smaller containers.
    Wonderful! Thank you. That ratatouille sounds amazing! Cant wait to give it a go
    Currently cooking some pizza scrolls and cottage pie to freeze.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Clementine Grace definitely giving the ratatouille a try this weekend! Sounds great. I wish DS2 would eat pasta sauce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm on a boring bland diet (dairy, sugar, yeast, gluten free) so my options aren't that exciting. But DH and I food prep and freeze ahead for the week with lunches - we cook each Sat (Fri night if a busy weekend ahead). We do the same meal for each day for the week. We don't find we get bored but we're pretty plain, simple and basic (we're working towards being a minimalist family) when it comes to cooking and eating - lots of fresh fruit and veg is our aim here. We enjoy doing it together too.

We tend to cycle between the same few meals - Stir Fry with heaps of veg and usually chicken breast on a bed of rice, Spaghetti Bog (with GF noodles) with heaps of food processed hidden veg, Roast Chicken with Roast Veg (carrot, sweet potato and a few more meals (that I can't have any more because they have gluten or too much acidic tomato in them - drats).

For the kids I bake ahead and freeze too . DS1 goes to Kindy 2 days a week and they have a strict healthy eating policy. I make sugar free banana muffins or bread, apple muffins, mini quiches, a variety of 'bliss balls'. I get alot of recipes from the Wholefoods Simply website. I make sure they are Gluten and Dairy free as DS2 is intolerant.

Probably not so helpful as we are so bland here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    @Clementine Grace I would love your slow cooker ratatouille recipe as well please!
    Me too! Your recipe seems really lovely, and it would be really nice to make that for my family!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    It's not anything fancy! I usually use what I have in the fridge so I'll sauté one chopped onion in some Olive oil and garlic, spring onion if it's all I have.

While that's going I chop my veg last time i used zuchinni, carrot, sweet potato, potato, capsicum, squash, broccoli, fresh tomato, leek but really whatever is in the fridge. I throw the veg into the slow cooker, add the onions, usually a tin of lentils or chickpeas, and one or two tins of chopped tomatoes. Then I add in maybe half a cup of stock, or more if I need it (slow cooker is generally overflowing by now) salt and pepper and cook it all day. I keep stiring it during the day and I'll add some salt, some onion powder and a shake of turmeric and cumin powder. Really just whatever taste you prefer.

You can also just cook it on a pot on the stove. When it's done we have it over brown rice or on its own with Greek yoghurt or sour cream on top. I take a few big scoops and throw it in the nutribullet and blend, then I use that as pasta sauce and add cheese for my 3 year old, it's really flavourful and I feel like he's at least getting some veg! The rest i freeze in small portions of sauce for him. It's got quite a tomato flavour when blended.
    @jennykins she posted it here!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

jennykins  (27-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    @jennykins she posted it here!
    Thanks! No idea why I missed it, but I will definitely try this out

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jennykins For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (27-10-2016)