+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have always planned meals and been quite organised in that way. I pre cook pasta for the week for the kids and chop ved for the fridge for snacks and dinner/lunches.

I freeze a lot too for nights I know we will be busy - it goes into the fridge that morning so a quick reheat job and dinner is done.

Things I found freeze well include mashed potato (reheat and revive by mashing a bit of butter through it) Curried egg freezes in sandwiches well and doesnt smell once defrosted ☺

If I cook during the week, it is always enough for another few meals and the leftovers get frozen for a quick meal.

Mornings are crazy with 3 kids so I make lunches the night before, have a shake (i bag my oats and protien for a few weeks) so just have to add liquid, blitz and go. I also always have tuna and crackers on hand to avoid getting hungry and eating junk!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

moosey  (12-01-2016),Renn  (12-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KitiK View Post
    I have always planned meals and been quite organised in that way. I pre cook pasta for the week for the kids and chop ved for the fridge for snacks and dinner/lunches.

I freeze a lot too for nights I know we will be busy - it goes into the fridge that morning so a quick reheat job and dinner is done.

Things I found freeze well include mashed potato (reheat and revive by mashing a bit of butter through it) Curried egg freezes in sandwiches well and doesnt smell once defrosted ☺

If I cook during the week, it is always enough for another few meals and the leftovers get frozen for a quick meal.

Mornings are crazy with 3 kids so I make lunches the night before, have a shake (i bag my oats and protien for a few weeks) so just have to add liquid, blitz and go. I also always have tuna and crackers on hand to avoid getting hungry and eating junk!
    Can I ask what you put in your shake and what you use to blend? Thanks for the ideas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 30g quick cooking oats, 30g protien (I use the scitech brand - flavours are good, and have the white choc mocha atm) and 200ml almond milk - maybe some ice depending. Makes a large glass. Enough to keep you full till lunch and healthy oh and I use a nutribullet to blend. ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pps: i have a meal plan and corresponding "shopping list" for different times of the year so we are eating fresh, cheap and in season. Takes some organisation depending on your meal preferences and can get a bit "boring" but it helps keep food cost under control and the kids help planning so none of the "i dont like that - Im not eating that" bs happens. We have a free/take away night on Fridays so have a bit of leeway to keep things interesting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping for more ideas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do a slow cooker curry or casserole at least once a week that goes straight into the freezer in portions for DH. That way there's always a variety in there for him to grab for dinner (if I'm too trashed which is frequently at the moment) or lunch.

On the weekend I try to make one soup and one pasta dish that freezes easily.

I don't tend to prep and leave on the fridge. More make large batches of food that freezes well.

How long do people leave pre cooked rice or pasta before using? Same with pre chopped salad or veg?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Life is so much easier when I've prepped a lot of the weeks meals.

Every 2 weeks or so I'll make up 4-5 slow cooker meals (usually chicken and beef, sometimes vego) and freeze in big snap lock bags so I know I can take them out the night before, dump in slow cooker and have with brown rice or salad. They're pretty quick to prep.

Most weeks I bake or prep muffins or biscuts, sausage rolls and some kind of small portions like home made nuggets or Turkey quinoa bites (usually one handed cook recipes) mostly as snacks or meals for DS. I also do a 10 veg slow cooker ratatoulle once a fortnight which we have during the week and I blitz up and freeze in portions and DS has it with pasta or rice.

I'm trying to get in the habit of doing either a big salad or tray of roast vego every morning so it's there for lunch and dinner. Then it's easy to just do baked salmon, chicken or steak for dinner.

It takes a bit of time to meal plan and make meals ahead but it does take some of the stress out of mornings and dinner time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

MrsMummaButterfly  (20-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    IMG_1476957210.962034.jpg

I am monthly paid so need to make sure I buy bulk once a month. I buy all the ingredient (mainly the fresh veg I need) for all dinners for at least a week. This is this weeks menu

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Life is so much easier when I've prepped a lot of the weeks meals.

Every 2 weeks or so I'll make up 4-5 slow cooker meals (usually chicken and beef, sometimes vego) and freeze in big snap lock bags so I know I can take them out the night before, dump in slow cooker and have with brown rice or salad. They're pretty quick to prep.

Most weeks I bake or prep muffins or biscuts, sausage rolls and some kind of small portions like home made nuggets or Turkey quinoa bites (usually one handed cook recipes) mostly as snacks or meals for DS. I also do a 10 veg slow cooker ratatoulle once a fortnight which we have during the week and I blitz up and freeze in portions and DS has it with pasta or rice.

I'm trying to get in the habit of doing either a big salad or tray of roast vego every morning so it's there for lunch and dinner. Then it's easy to just do baked salmon, chicken or steak for dinner.

It takes a bit of time to meal plan and make meals ahead but it does take some of the stress out of mornings and dinner time.
    Would you share your ratatouille recipe? My 14 month old is fussy with veggies but he loves pasta so I like the idea of blitzing the ratatouille for him.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dollypops For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Clementine Grace I would love your slow cooker ratatouille recipe as well please!