+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default GD - does it always end in being induced?

Hi, just looking for some stories of those who have had gestational diabetes (insulin controlled). Do always end up having to be induced early? Were you able to have a vaginal birth or was a c-section recommended? Recently diagnosed, so curious as to how it all works. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've had it twice and fully expecting to have it this time round too.
    I was induced two weeks past my due date on No.1 and induced bang on my due date on No.2
    I only needed the Cervidil tape with both inductions and I went on to have relatively fast labours (5 hours each) and vaginal births on both.
    So it was as close to natural as possible if I ignore the induction
    Hoping for more of the same because it's familiar to me now

The differences between birth 1 & 2 were
    No.1 I was younger, and in a country hospital which was far more relaxed and not so keen to induce.
    No.2 I was 4 yrs older and in the big city, also I needed just a little insulin at night to control my fasting/waking numbers so they weren't keen to let me go any longer.
    That turned out for the best because when I delivered the placenta, it was showing signs of deterioration already.
    GD does that.

Is this your first baby?
    There's every chance you go into labour naturally yourself.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

malis  (08-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    From what I understand, and I haven't had my bubba yet but he's not too far away, doctors like to get the babies out a bit early so they don't get too big, which can make natural birth more complicated.

I was diagnosed with GD at 10 weeks and have been insulin controlled from about 12 weeks. My doctor said at that time I would need to be induced or opt for a caesarian at around 37/38 weeks, but I don't think that was just because of the GD - I also have blood pressure issues, am asthmatic and am an older first-time mum amongst other things.

I'll certainly be interested to hear what others say about this, although I've already opted for a caesarian in 4-5 weeks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

malis  (08-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your responses This is my 2nd bub, no GD with my first. It is only my fasting levels causing me problems too - at 22 wks I am on insulin to control that one number.

It is great to hear that it can be possible to make it to your due date - i had it in my head everyone had to get induced 2 weeks early. I would prefer not to be induced if possible, but I was induced at 40+1 with my son due to bp issues, so I know I can do it if that happens again.

Because of having a toddler to chase after I would like to avoid a c-section if I can. Though I have other things to think of in that area too (3rd degree perennial tear last time - worried about more damage this time). Ahhhh so many unknowns and far too much time to think about it all. :-/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had gd with my 3rd only. I have 4 children. Mine was diet controled. I had all my kids at same gestation all c sections but not bc of gd. My child with the gd was the smallest out of my 4 by 1 pound.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mordygordy For This Useful Post:

malis  (08-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    If your on insulin already then you'll probably need to be induced at 38-39 weeks.

It's due to the increased risk of stillbirth, not necessarily a big baby.
    Wow, thank you. If that's the case I will happily be induced early. I have a list of questions ready for my next antenatal appt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had GD with both bubs, on Protaphane insulin with both pregnancies. I had serial US with both pregnancies to monitor size of bubs and placenta, and regular appts with OBGYN.
    Went into spontaneous labour at 40 weeks with 1st, and because he was so big (10 lb 1 oz), he was very difficult to push out, so my OBGYN helped me out with vacuum extraction...and all was fine.
    With my 2nd bubs my BSL control was more difficult, so I was induced at 38 weeks. Bubs was 10 lb 6 oz (4.715 kg) and my placenta was enormous and a bit ragged, and I had significant polyhydramnios (excessive amniotic fluid); due to placental size, I also lost a fair bit of blood post-partum. But bubs was fine, I was fine, it was a controlled-induction with continuous monitoring.
    Not trying to scare you, just prepare you for certain possibilities. I had two very big babies, but gave birth vaginally (with epidurals, thankfully!), and all was well. Midwives were very attentive in their monitoring of me and bubs, and responded quickly and appropriately. As did my OBGYN.
    GD can manifest differently in each woman/pregnancy...what I or others have experienced may be completely different to your experience. Best of luck.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using The Bub Hub mobile app