+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Share bedtime routine with 2 young children

I have 2.5yr old and almost 5yr old (not at school yet).
    Please share bedtime routine.

We have a great schedule, I just can't put both down at once (Dh helps) and Ds2 is starting to want me (Ds1 wants me too!). Oh and they both need us to sit with them to fall asleep :-\

6.30/45- Bath
    7- milk, maybe yoghurt, 12 min of movie
    7.15- brush teeth, book, sleep.

I wish I could put both down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you space the bedtimes out? How long does it take for 2.5 to fall asleep? Could ds1 have a bit of extra movie time while you put ds2 down?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (07-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by squishie View Post
    Could you space the bedtimes out? How long does it take for 2.5 to fall asleep? Could ds1 have a bit of extra movie time while you put ds2 down?
    Yeah good idea. Maybe on nights Ds2 doesn't have kinder the next day. It could be 30min extra (by time I read book etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Are their rooms close together?

All my 3 kids' bedrooms are close to each other. My youngest (19 months) goes to bed at 6:30 and her door gets closed. My other two (4 & 6) have quiet reading time in bed at 6:30. I lay outside their rooms when it's lights out so they know I'm there but I'm not right next to them. My 6yo would go to sleep anyway but my 4yo likes it when I'm laying outside his door. I get out the children's sofa lounge and check out fb and bh while they go to sleep. It's my down time too. My husband helps if he's here but he's not usually home until they're just about to go to bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bedroom is in between. I'm seriously considering having them share a room so I can do both together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with spacing out their bedtimes a little. My boys are almost the same ages as yours and I put ds2 down around 6.30pm while ds1 either watches some TV or reads a book with dp. Ds2 has a few minutes cuddle in his room before he goes in his cot and puts himself to sleep, then I take ds1 to bed with a story and sometimes need to lay with him till he goes off to sleep, usually asleep around 7pm

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 3.5 and DD is 22 months, both stays at home full time and both needs me to lay there till they are asleep.

We all read a book together before bed and then we all the 3 of us just go into the bedroom together, I lay in the middle, we talk and sing then I say night night and they pretty much fall asleep within a minute. I guess my kids are younger with smaller age gap probably easier to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have dd1 3yo and dd2 8 months, I do story time or just some quite play for both together then dd1 has a dippy cup of milk in bed to wind down a little whilst I feed bub and put her down, once that's done I go into dd2 take dippy cup, toilet brush teeth and then she is pretty much good to go! Bub is very easy yo get down so it's not to bad but dd1 takes a while longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 are similar ages to yours but they share a room. I read something recently about watching TV / playing on computer etc in the 2 hours before bed making it difficult for little ones to fall asleep, so our new routine is:
    5:30pm dinner
    No TV after dinner so we often play a couple of games of cards - fish or snap, they need a bit of help but really enjoy it. Otherwise they might do drawing or colouring in or duplo.
    6:15 shower/ bath / PJ's / brush teeth
    Then we read 2 books, then they both go to bed.
    About half the time they carry on talking for about 5 mins then fall asleep, the rest of the time I have to go and lie down in the 3yo's bed for 10 mins until they settle.