+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Swollen gums, mouth ulcers and fever!

Hi mums, my 22 months old has some sort of viral infection.
    It started out with a cold then fever about 4 days ago and then I noticed a huge what looked like a deep cut few days ago on the inside of her lip. Since then it looked worse and a few more blisters appeared on her lip. And today I noticed that she's got swollen gums, covering some of her teeth almost!
    She's in a lot of pain I can feel and she pretty much cried all night for two nights now.
    We will be sewing a doctor soon. But just wanted to find out from other mums if this has happened before to your kiddies and what did you do to make them feel better. What sort of food/drink did you offer and how long did it take to recover.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the mouth is sore cool/cold drinks and foods may be tolerated better than warm or hot. Milk, water, juice or whatever you normally give try fridging some. Could also try making icy poles from the above.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like it could be a primary cold sore infection? Hugs. Icy poles would prob be best way to go till you see dr

Thanks
    Reviews
    How is she op? Hope she will take some fluids for you and she is more comfortable

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sounds a little bit like hand foot and mouth virus. My DD had a very mild case of it recently. Highly contagious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Actually, just rereading your OP, looks exactly like and foot and mouth, but obviously a doctor can confirm that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Went to the doctors and wasn't impressed with the diagnose.
    She didn't even notice DD has very swollen gums. Didn't check her temperature and didn't listen to her chest etc.
    She just said DD is stressed and it's an viral infection. Apparently it's not hand foot mouth because she doesn't have anything in her hands or feet and it's not cold sores, Just ulcers from stress she says. I will be watching DD closely and get a second opinion. DS had something similar at 3 months old and we were told it's nothing serious as well and end up being hospitalized for 3 days on drip. I am freaking out now because I don't want the same to happen to DD
    Apparently DD got a bit of red ear so she end up giving her antibiotics for the ear and gums.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How is she today op? Have the anti bs started to kick in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have noticed more ulcers in her mouth, and the existing ones doesn't seem to be any better. Her gums are still red and swollen and the top gums seems to be bleeding. Also a sore appeared on her face near the corner of her lip too. Poor thing.
    Whingy all day and won't eat anything!
    I will give her another day and if it gets worse I will see the doctors again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds a lot like herpes stomatitis.
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001383.htm
    Usually we would use aciclovir and xylocaine viscous. The aciclovir is prescription but the xylocaine is over the counter but expensive. It is a numbing gel that encourages eating and drinking as it numbs it enough to make it comfortable.

I'd get a second opinion tomorrow. Hugs xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (07-08-2014)