+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Speech Therapy and Pets

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on here for a long time. But do always keep an eye on the forums

So my DD and DS both have ASD. They both see 2 speech therapists each. Both Speech Therapists have recommended that we get a family pet as this could help DD with the transition from Kindergarten to Primary School along with communicate, Emotional, and behaviour development.

Because our family dog passed away when DD was 1 year old we don't feel we are ready to take on another dog. I have told both speech therapists this and they both completely understand plus we rent.

Both Speech therapists said they always give alternative animals due to those reasons and because some children just don't like them.

Both speech therapists gave me a alternative of birds.
    one speech therapists showed me a video of a child she see, from the day the child got their family pet to 1 month later the changes in the child were quite noticeable.

I have been talking about this to my husband now for 1 week and he is just not interested because we rent.

I feel as though we should be doing this for our children, but something is just holding him back. I believe it needs to family agreement to get an animal but I am just stuck as I keep getting the speech therapists asking me are we going to get a family pet every week. one of the speech therapists gave me a list of benefits to have a family pet for children with ASD but that still is not helping win this over.

I don't want to go behind my husbands back and get a bird.

Does anyone know how I can win this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Did you show your DH the video of the differences made because of the bird?
    Did he tell you why he's so resistant to getting a bird if it's been recommended to help both of your children? Seems like it's just something he might have to do, even if he doesn't want to, because it's for the benefit of your children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Best Things View Post
    Did you show your DH the video of the differences made because of the bird?
    Did he tell you why he's so resistant to getting a bird if it's been recommended to help both of your children? Seems like it's just something he might have to do, even if he doesn't want to, because it's for the benefit of your children.
    No he didn't get to see the video because the speech therapist had it on her iPad. I did ask her for a copy but she is unable to give it to me. But the family said the video can only be used in side her practice. . I just have a feeling it is because he is worried the children will love it for 1 week then decide they don't want to deal with the birds I also think it is because we rent and he is worried that the owner will say no to having birds as pets. I think I can slowly talk him around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    I worked with a lady who had a son that had a severe speech delay. She bought him a baby blue tongue lizard and made a little pouch for the lizard. He carried the lizard everywhere in its warm little pouch and the changes in him were almost unbelievable. Maybe just take it one step at a time with your DH. First approach the real estate and get the go ahead, then take your little ones to see a few birds and see how they like them. I know there are lots of Facebook pages that sell hand reared birds that are really good for wanting cuddles and are great with kids, sure they're a little more money wise but worth it for the social aspect.