+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Reasonable Breakfast time?

So every single morning my DS1 wakes up at the crack of dawn, or this morning, before the crack of dawn.

So at 4:30am he is screaming that he wants breakfast and I say no. He eats a huge dinner every single night (outeats me) and he has milk before bed as well. Hes 6 yrs old. If I give him breakfast at 4:30am he ends up having 3 breakfasts before he leaves for school at 8:30am. I'm talking 4-6 weetbix, fruit and 2 tubs of yoghurt.

Am I being unreasonable expecting him to wait until at least 6-6:30am to eat? I also dont want to let him eat earlier because I dont want to encourage his early waking...

Its also not an issue of being worried about his weight as he is almost 120cm tall and 19.5kg so he certainly isnt overweight or anything.

I am just absolutely exhausted and so very tired of fighting him every single day. He doesnt ask for breakfast until 7am when he stays at my mums or my BIL's house...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe set up a cereal bowl and a cup of milk in the fridge so he can get his own breakfast in the morning leaving you to sleep in a bit? Can he watch the tv for a while and eat on his own?

I know that doesn't help the early waking, but it gives him some responsibility and maybe the novelty will wear off and his pattern will change with time..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (06-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    He does get his own food he just has to ask first or else he will eat absolutely everything in sight.

Perhaps thats the problem. I very rarely feel hungry, so eating at 4:30am just seems insane to me LOL.

I will try and tell him he can have a piece of fruit and thats it until a reasonable time...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds1 has a clock by his bed. He is not allowed out of his room until 7.
    I used to put a banana and a water bottle in his room for the early snack.
    He is allowed to get breakfast anytime after 7 and usually now he waits for me to get up and make porridge.
    He is almost 7.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I find my 6yo needs lots of carbs in the morning and often before bed. I generally only offer fruit for morning and afternoon tea.

If she's still hungry after dinner (which can happen as we need to eat at 5pm for DS) she can have plain crackers, a drink of milk or a piece of bread and butter. We don't typically eat dessert or anything sweet after dinner. I just find if I offer her fruit and yoghurt as 'extras' she's always hungry after, ditto for anything sweet. So you could try switching some of what he eats or the times he eats it

In the morning she often has 3 weetbix, then a piece of toast just before we leave as she's hungry again. I do have to remind her to drink water in winter too, that helps with the constant "I'm hungry".

She's a very active 123cm and an athletic 24kg. Most people are shocked by her weight as she looks so lean, it's mostly muscle.

The clock idea PP mentioned helped a friend who was struggling with a 5yo early riser. First she made the time eg. 5.30 then week by week brought it later until she was sleeping in/staying in bed until 7am. She knew she was allowed to go to the toilet on her own any time and putting in night lights helped with that.