+ Reply to Thread
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Question Thoughts on Commercial Surrogacy in Australia?

Given the latest going-on in the Surrogacy world I was curious to know peoples feelings on legalizing Commercial Surrogacy within Australia?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have come to believe that we could mix the current regulations/process that is used in VIC with commercial surrogacy and allow commissioning parents to advertise for surrogates. I believe that these regulations should be Australia wide, not state by state. For those interested the process I mention above is located here http://mivf.com.au/fertility-treatme...or-childbirth- it's also the process we used.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The delicate nature of surrogacy

05 August 2014 , 11:35 AM by Sally Rope
    You've probably seen the heartbreaking story this week of a baby, with Down's Syndrome, and a severe heart condition, who was allegedly left in Thailand with his surrogate mother by his Australian parents, who chose to take home the baby's healthy twin.
    Understandably, this story has tugged at the heartstrings of Aussies, with a fundraising effort raising over two hundred thousand dollars.
    The story has had many twists and turns over the past few days, and it's possible we'll never know the truth about baby Gammy, but this story has certainly put surrogacy in the spotlight, and raised ethical questions about the process.

Rachel Kunde is the Executive Officer of Surrogacy Australia, and she has also been a surrogate herself, twice. She spoke with Nicole Dyer...

http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2...surrogacy.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    After having DD at 25 weeks I certainly thought about surrogacy as an option for subsequent children, but I don't think I could handle having a stranger carry my child, regardless of how thoroughly they are background checked... that's just my personality type and personal feelings and I'm sure there are women out there who would be comfortable with it.

As a law student, the legalities of the situation and contractual provisions required to protect all parties are just mind blowing and encroach on some existing laws and human rights issues, in my opinion. For example, the situation where bio parents consider genetic abnormalities discovered to be means for an abortion, but the surrogate refuses to consent to the procedure, even if she consented within the signed contract.

Regardless of my feelings about someone else carrying my child from a personal point of view, I couldn't enter in to that type of contract..

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (06-08-2014),PomPoms  (06-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    As a law student, the legalities of the situation and contractual provisions required to protect all parties are just mind blowing and encroach on some existing laws and human rights issues, in my opinion.
    Yes, one of the recent articles quoted a surrogacy lawyer who said that Gammy's mother could turn up to court in Australia tomorrow and attempt to gain custody of his twin sister, as she is considered one of the parents.

I was also reading about the case involving Sherri Shepherd in the US. Their surrogate has given birth and at this stage I imagine her ex husband will have custody of the baby, but he's unemployed so I guess he'll seek child support. I'm not sure who from though as Sherri has no genetic link to the baby and she no longer wants to be considered a parent.

Sherri Shepherd's surrogate gave birth to a baby boy in Pennsylvania on Tuesday.

The 47-year-old was not present but her estranged husband Lamar Sally was at the hospital, according to TMZ.

The child has been at the centre of a bitter row and legal dispute between the former couple.

Shepherd has no genetic connection to the infant who was conceived through IVF with an egg donor and her estranged husband's sperm.

Sources have previously told TMZ that she believes her TV writer ex defrauded her into having a child so he could get child support - knowing full well he was planning to file for divorce.

The pair first tried IVF with her own eggs but when that failed they opted to use donor egg with Lamar's sperm and a surrogate to carry the pregnancy, the source added.

The former The View host - who has an eight-year-old son from a previous marriage - does not want to be considered a parent because she does not want to take financially responsibility, it has been claimed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...way-debut.html
    I have strong feelings about overseas commercial surrogacy, but am mindful of the fact that there are members here who have pursued/are looking to pursue this option as their last or only option.

Regarding commercial surrogacy in Australia, I don't feel as though I know enough about it or have a good understanding of all of the issues to make an informed comment.

But I do think that it needs to be re-examined as soon as possible. Tony Abbott made a statement today, saying that he "won't act on commercial surrogacy" which is really disappointing. The number of couples seeking surrogates isn't going to suddenly decrease, and it seems like he'd rather turn a blind eye than address the issue.
    He also said it is an issue for the states, but I agree with you, @headoverfeet that there needs to be national regulations and that the Victorian guidelines seem to be quite good (eg. gestational surrogacy is the only type legally permitted etc).

@headoverfeet - Although I don't know a lot about surrogacy in Australia, I've really enjoyed reading your pregnancy diary. I've been secretly hoping that you'll start an 'Ask me anything' type thread because I have a few questions (but I completely understand if you'd prefer not to ).
    Last edited by sky1; 06-08-2014 at 10:34.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sky1 For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (06-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Happy to answer any questions @sky1