+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Apraxia- tell me your experience

DS will be 3 next month and has a severe speech delay. He has been having f/n sessions with a speech therapist for a couple of months and the last 2 weeks she is starting to think it might be Apraxia more than just language delay. She advised me to contact NDIS for funding which I did today (thankfully it has been rolled out in my area) as she thinks he will need at least weekly sessions. If you have experience with Apraxia I'd love to hear about it if you are willing to share.

Thanks
    Reviews
    bumping

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Hi, none of my children have apraxia but my friend's daughter did. She had speech therapy and is now 5 and has been told she doesn't need speech therapy anymore as she can speak so well. Before they started they didn't know if she'd ever be able to say everything. I just wanted to give you some hope.

"Insert witty signature here"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (06-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Tadpoles it looks like it will be a long road. He can say some things but is only using very limited consonants and vowels.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure if I put it in the speech app thread... But Speech Apraxia is what my 4yr old DS has... At age two he could say less than 10words (clearly) & by 3 years not much more, nor was his speech understood by anyone. We have had f/n sessions for 3 solid terms as well as myself working every day with him for the past year using those apps. His speech has come along way, so much that "single" word level he is now within the average level...

We're now working on 2-3 word sentences in conversation as this is his very weak area.

We've been told that with hard work he will be able to speak as clearly as anyone else but a lot of his progress relies on the work we as parents do with him as well as (for now) continued speech therapy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bumblebeez00 For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (07-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing @Bumblebeez00 . It's good that your DS has shown so much improvement. How long are your home sessions? I've been working with the apps with ds about 10 min twice a day, he is not keen on it so any tips for keeping his attention would be appreciated. I also try to incorporate sounds into our regular routine throughout the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use to do those speech apraxia apps 15mins every day, if he wouldn't do it with me, I'd switch & get my husband to do it in the evenings... I also made a more conscious effort to encourage him to speak common words clearly (wanting some to eat, drink, toilet, etc) and teach him very basic words to help with his needs/wants.
    This year we've added in a reward chart because he begun to throw tantrums not wanting to do his "homework", we did a reward weekly then extended to f/n & now its a reward monthly which works much better. 10-15mins twice a day sounds about right.

I find mixing it up helps, apps one day, some recommended games from the speech therapist another day (eg: fishing -> he has a fishing pole & catches flash cards & has to say the sound/word, OR Postman -> make a letterbox & have him post the flash cards after saying the word/sound).

He has bad days, where instead of arguing I just let it go & we start fresh the next day. The biggest thing for us is repetition, the more he says it over & over the clearer it gets. Sometimes when I feel like there's no progress, I listen to a video of him a year ago & conpare it to one recently & the difference is amazing, it reminds me to push him (and myself) & encourage him to continue to work hard because he can & will improve!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bumblebeez00 For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (07-08-2014)