+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *Rant* Feeling stressed about work. DS always sick lately :(

I just don't know what to do anymore. The last two weeks I have had a few days off unfortunately due to me getting a chest infection, then last week DS came down with croup. Now the croup has come back just in time for when I am supposed to return to work tomorrow.... because he is so unwell I called work to ask if i can have tomorrow off a rec leave day as I have no sick days left, and I am also not wanting to have so much sick leave anyways... My work actually prefers this, but can only do it if it's available.

They knocked back my request due to already having people away on rec leave tomorrow, and my team leader even hinted at maybe my DS is 'faking so he gets to be with mummy" and then he brought to my attention I have a meeting with him when i return this week because of the days I have had off in the last 2 weeks.

My team leader even suggested i get DH to stay home if DS is still unwell.... but i advised him my DH is a senior supervisor at his work and under the pump, but ill try to work something out. I told them I am trying to keep everyone happy but its very hard when my DS is so unwell.

I just want to resign. I have only 2 months left before i start mat leave but i don't know how much i can stand of the place. I feel its not their place to question if my toddler is 'faking' as i wouldn't be dosing him with pred mix again if i felt he didn't have a croup cough. And id surely be trying to save my rec leave for later on. My team leader is a single male with no children, so im guessing he just doesn't know what its like for a parent to try and tackle keeping work happy as well as looking after their sick children. Im sure he will one day though and will maybe look back and remember how hard he was on me.

My DH wants me to give the union a heads up of my convo with my team leader on the phone as he feels he should not have gone where he did with his presumptions. I just feel like crap now and absolutely dreading going back there. I think I am also getting to the stage of my pregnancy where dealing with their crap is becoming very difficult.

This is not the first time hey have told me to get my DH to stay home with DS. Im afraid DH's senior supervisor role is a little more important than my call center job. Not that i say that to them of course. But I think it goes without saying really. I am easily replaced when I am not at my job, there is only one DH at his work and he runs the whole warehouse!

Its really stressful being a working mum. Im so over it.

*whinge and rant over*
    Last edited by Serenity Love; 05-08-2014 at 15:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is so stressful doing the work shuffle with sick kids, your boss was in the wrong for saying what he said!

But, in my house this whole work/parenting thing would not work if DH and I did not share the load with caring for sick kids. We alternate who has the day off work (unless one of us has something important on then we negotiate). This would also help with you not using up all your sick leave so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ergh! Out of line much! Your manager sounds pretty inappropriate. I'd take a note if all conversations, can you start your mat leave early?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I agree DH really should share the load more with me. Its just so tough as his boss is so hard on him. DH had to take some time off last year for major eye surgery.... a few weeks....so there's the worry of it effecting his career movement if he has to take any more time off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Ergh! Out of line much! Your manager sounds pretty inappropriate. I'd take a note if all conversations, can you start your mat leave early?
    Not unless i use rec leave, or if my baby comes early like DS did (and mind you they still tried to make me go to work or go without pay while i was in labor for 4 days. DH had to fight that battle for me as i was naturally unable to...)

If i can go without touching anymore rec leave as i get closer ill have a good couple weeks to use again before my finish date. But with how often DS gets sick i can't see that happening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The stupid thing is my manager has been transferred to manage my team as he had too many complaints to the union with his last team so they moved him out to prevent it escalating. I generally get along well with him but he has a horrid track record of bullying the workers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't believe he even suggested your DS was faking it! That's completely inappropriate and offensive. And it is not his place to suggest your DH stays home instead. What if you were a single parent? Your DH is none of their business and shouldn't even come into this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh god it's so stressful isn't it. My advice is to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. I agree you should stay home and not your DH. Your work can just suck it up I'm afraid. Let them have a meeting with you over your absences, stick it out and just do as you need to and try not to let it stress you. Easier said than done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @lilypily i couldnt have said it any better myself.
    @Serenity Love you need to be there for your son end of story

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (05-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all. I think I feel a bit better now... just gotta try and suffer i until 30th September and prey DS doesn't get anymore illnesses.