+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default High risk pregnancy and NICU baby expected - would you go private?

Any any advice or experience on private vs public in Sydney at Randwick for high risk and NICU?

I have recently discovered (at 12 weeks) that baby will need to be in for immediate surgery when born then in NICU for a while and that we will be a high risk pregnancy throughout. We are being transferred from North Shore Private to Randwick, but wanted anyone's thoughts on whether to go public or private? We are covered by private health insurance but not for scans (which there will be many) and 99% the obs will only consider c-section.

My main reason for wanting to go private is post-natal as I think the obs/surgeons will be the same either way. My first baby was born overseas (midwife led public) but went to NICU and we stayed in private postnatal. A lifesaver as we had our own room, my husband could stay the whole time, peace, could stay a bit longer, and see our baby 24 hrs a day by going 2 floors down. Also, I wasn't in a room with other women so lesser risk of bringing in colds or flus to NICU, had privacy to express milk, own fridges nearby and didn't need to watch other women cradling their gorgeous babies all night and day while mine was battling for his life! (Not meaning to sound ungrateful or harsh).

Any thoughts on what it is like here at randwick would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Depends what you're after. You would still have the option of being a private obstetric patient with your baby being seen as a public patient. Realistically, in an emergency situation you're baby will be attended by the public doctors anyway. Especially if you are expected to deliver early and bubs will be in NICU long term (as in longer than a week or 2).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd go private again if I had another NICU experience simply for the fact you get the same consultant the whole way through. Where as public you just have to deal with all the rotating shifts etc. where as private you tend to build more of a relationship with the 1 doctor and they know your story forwards and backwards. Where as public they can only go by charts and what's passed on during shift change. Our hospital didn't charge us for anything they sent everything to my PHI fund.

I had my own room being a private patient also which I loved for all the reasons you listed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister had twins at 26 weeks, and another friend had a baby with bladder extrophy (I think that's what it's called).

The both received really really excellent care at the RHW at Randwick.

HTH and hope your little one is ok x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been in this situation.
    I went private but my baby went public.
    I liked that I had an OB who followed my high risk pregnancy. He was awesome. Plus the private Mater mothers is in same building as the public hospital and NICU.
    My daughter was going to get the same care public or private so I felt it didn't matter. The care was awesome.

I do not regret still going private for me at all even though there were out of pocket.

I hope all goes well with your Bub.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most public these days have almost all single rooms and partners can stay overnight