+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Floor Boards question regarding adding the most value - Help!!

Hey all - hubby and I are looking to get floating floor boards done in our house. We currently have cork flooring in the main walk way and the kitchen and dining area. Lounge and all bedrooms are carpet. The carpet was newly laid 5 years ago when we first moved in, so its in quite good condition and good quality carpet.

Would it be best to get the whole house floor boarded or just where we have cork? And keep carpet in the lounge/b.rooms?

I want to add the most value and make the house very appealing. We live in Hampton Park - so going to struggle with getting a decent offer once we do sell. Our house is really nice.... but its just a cheap area at the moment

All advice welcome!!! Thanks in advance!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have floating floor boards everywhere except bedrooms which are carpet.
    I would probably keep where is carpeted and just do where the cork is. Doing a smaller area will allow you to spend a bit more on the boards and get better quality, as the price range can be quite varied.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to looloo711 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (05-08-2014),Serenity Love  (05-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We put carpet in our new lounge (extension) and floating floor boards in the other bits. We are about to do our kitchen and rest of the house except the bedrooms (will carpet them when the kids are older) bathroom
    And laundry are tiles. We got ours glued to the old floor instead of floating. So we didn't use underlay and there
    Is no movement. Had a couple of people say they don't seem like floating floor etc

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy12 For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (05-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to have carpet in bedrooms and I regret putting floorboards in our lounge area as its not comfy and gets really cold. Plus both my babies had stacks while playing when they were un-steady.

I would have floorboard where you have the cork personally...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have floor boards every where apart from the bedrooms, they are carpeted. The bathrooms and laundry have tiles.
    I love the look of them and they are a breeze to clean but they are also cold. I cant let my kids walk around in socks because its too dangerous. My DD is about to walk and the floor boards don't make for a fun fall for her.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Only to let you know but cork can be resurfaced so it comes up nicely again. It's just a sand and polish, so quite cheap. Only if you like the look though. If you hate the cork though, continue on. Just thought I'd throw it in.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't bother putting it in the lounge, if it's newish carpet it will still look nice. Just put floorboards where the cork is, I don't think you would get a decent return on investment if you put it in other rooms as well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had tiled our kitchen/hall/laundry but recently ripped it up and replaced it with floating bamboo flooring. We did use ply and then the thin rubber underlay... Turned out much better than the tiles (less cold and slippery). No movement or squeaking.

If you do use floating floor, go for something quality and solid not the veneer on pressed board (like cardboard!) types. Our flooring, underlay and edging came from Masters. If you are a perfectionist with the pattern (matching lengths of boards and symmetry etc) you will use more packs of boards than if you make your own pattern (each pack has short and long boards.. We chose to use up the short boards rather than buying extra packets just to get long boards).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Que Sera For This Useful Post: