+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cold Sores- share your best remedy!

Woke up this morning with the biggest cold sore, feels like its going to take over my face! I haven't had a cold sore in years, but am a little run down so one where it came from.

I used to take lysine which I think helps and will get back on that today. For anyone else that gets cold sores what else helps? Does Zovirox (?Spelling) or third little sticker things work? Please she your tips.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How much do cold sores suck!! I usually ice mine then apply cortisone cream. It dries the sucker out and I'm able to put make up over it for cover up!!! I was on lysine for years and that worked wonders. I hardly get them now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lysine, patches, cold sore cream.
    What I do isn't recommended but I pop the blisters (hurts like childbirth) and put betadibe ointment on them to dry them out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And talk to the pharmacy - there is a new antiviral tablet available over the counter for cold sores. I've only seen it in the last few months and haven't been able to try it out yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. Amyd, do the stickers really work? Was surprised you can get an antiviral tablet. I spoke to the pharmacist and he said I couldn't take it while breastfeeding

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummyBic View Post
    Thanks ladies. Amyd, do the stickers really work? Was surprised you can get an antiviral tablet. I spoke to the pharmacist and he said I couldn't take it while breastfeeding
    I think they work well, and others at work use them too. Sucks that you can't take the tablet while feeding, I was going to pack it in my hospital bag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Lysine, patches, cold sore cream.
    What I do isn't recommended but I pop the blisters (hurts like childbirth) and put betadibe ointment on them to dry them out.
    I'm the same ... I pop the blisters & (this is probably the strangest thing you'll ever read - don't judge!) put nail polish remover on it. Yep... Read that right. Dries it out completely but the pain factor is high.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I make up lime jelly and apply it to the area and leave it on for 5-10 mins. Then dab off with a clean tissue and apply a layer of papaya cream. I did this for one my son had on Monday and it's pretty much dried up and gone (Wednesday morning).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just had to share. My DH gets terrible coldsores.
    The tablet you mentioned used to be prescription only and he's just realized you can get it over the counter and is much cheaper.
    It works wonders. We keep a packet for just in case as he gets them regularly.
    It's called famvir I think.
    http://www.nps.org.au/medicines/infe...ith-cold-sores

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I think they work well, and others at work use them too. Sucks that you can't take the tablet while feeding, I was going to pack it in my hospital bag.
    Yeah it does suck. It also says it in the link that Tamtam posted below. Thanks @Tamtam. Wow BbBbBh...lime jelly. Don't have any lime jelly. This is just crazy enough that I might have to try it. Will give the stickers a go too.

Think that I might have to suck it up and pop it. My lip is swollen I'm struggling not to dribble my coffee.