+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default FTM not sure how much food!

Hi Everyone,

My DS now just over 5 months has been eating purée once a day since he was just over 4 months. He's started eating it twice a day (having about the equivalent to a jar in one day) how much should he be eating, how often?

I dont want want him to stop having his bottle feeds if I feed him more purée but don't want to limit him. Please tell me there's a right and wrong answer here 😩 lol

he loves his food which he's getting morning and afternoon. Should I be looking at increasing him to a feed in the middle of the day?

Please and and thank you to any advice!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've always gone by the 'food before 1 is just for fun' don't cut down his bottles at all as they are the best source of nutrients and energy for him. So if he starts refusing bottles I'd cut back.

I'd only introduce more food if you are finding he is not satisfied ie having bottles earlier than he usually would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks
    Yeah he does seem to be having bottles quicker then normal.. But sometimes he wants it early and only drinks half.

I want him to continue having all his bottles but I also want him to keep enjoying his food. He loves taste testing during our meals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I introduced solids to my son I always gave him his solids about an hour after a milk feed. It's especially easy at breakfast time because he wakes up at 7 and wants a breastfeed straight away and then at about 8:15 I give him breakfast. I then always feed him solids until he tells me that he has has enough. He just turns his head away. I really trusted him to guide me in what he needed. I found that he ate heaps more solids then I expected but he never reduced his milk feeds. Actually I think he was having bigger and longer breastfeeds! At about 6 months he was starting to get really active and more mobile so he became a bottomless pit! I don't believe food before 1 is just for fun. I believe food before one is mostly for learning. Learning to eats lots of tastes and texture and most importantly learning good eating habits. I love watching him enjoy lots of different food and now at 10 months old he is a great eater! Good luck Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As pp said at. 5 months bottles are far more important than solids so keep offering those first , ( I only started offering food before milk at about 11 months)

At about 6 months start offering your food/finger foods by just putting it on his tray and let him eat/try/play with as much as he wants - he will let you know if he's still hungry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did purée (no blw) and struggled with amounts as well. Every where I read said keep offering till baby will turn away... Yeah well my Lo never did! Lol I'm sorry I'm not much help but as pp have said offer milk first and then food and I would weigh it and then over a period of time added more and more etc. only did she turn away when I started cutting bottles in replacement for a meal which wasn't till around 7ish months ie cut out dinner bottle for food but then she still had bottle before bed iykwim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks I'm feeding him about an hour and a half before bottles. His routine usually means he has a bottle and goes for a nap (it's just the way it worked out for us)
    He will drink majority of his bottle if it's an hour or so before a bottle.

I think I will stick to his 2 feeds a day and follow his queue if he wants more or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He usually has food an hour and a half before a bottle.

His routine usually means he has a bottle and has a nap. He will drink majority of his bottles.

I think I will follow what he does and if he wants more at the two times I feed him I will but if he's happy with it I'll let him go he seems to be growing at the moment so he seems hungrier than usual.