+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kea23 View Post
    The baby monitor has a thermometer on it - it's usually between 20 and 24 degrees in her room, but we aren't using any heating/cooling in there at present. usually she is in a nappy and singlet, full onesie and a sleeping bag (have been using the 'swaddle up' ones as she likes to suck on her hands). This is with 2 blankets, or 3 if it's cold.
    I had been using the fuzzy fleece onesies while it was cold but last night I had to change her out of it into a cotton one because she was too hot.
    During the day I often only use 1 blanket, but the rest is the same.
    This is my first bub - so been challenging. We had a bit of a rocky start with feeding issues, then wind issues due to formula, but that seems to have settled now. She has been sleeping through since 9 weeks, but wakes before that 7am mark, usually between 6 and 6:30am we hear her gabbling away.
    In generally she has not been an easy bub. Doesn't like to be left in a swing or on the floor with the play gym for more than 15-20 mins (max - sometimes not for any time at all).
    We have been trying the SOS routine for about 2 weeks, but just haven't been able to get these daytime naps sorted, and I don't think we have been doing the settling routine right - sometimes I'm not able to wait out the 6 minutes, or I convince myself it's emotional crying not protesting when she really gets going. She very rarely settles herself after she starts crying (I think it's happened twice).
    It can definitley be challenging in the early days! With DS1 I remember being so confused over what to dress bub in. Wind was also a problem here.

Do you have an Angelcare monitor? I've found that the temperature can be out 2-3 degrees at a given time. It's almost like the monitor only takes a snapshot of the temp every hour or so. I suspects it was inaccurate because it's readings didn t' feel right.' A gro-egg confirmed it was out of whack by 2-3 degrees. Which depending on what you dress bub in its enough to cause cat napping or early waking.

Depending on what tog your sleeping bag is bub could be too cold? 1-3 blankets doesn't seem like a lot.. Have a squiz at the SOS bedding guide link. But above all to by what your bub feels like. Touch the back of bubs neck. Bub should never be sweaty but should be warm and toasty.
    Good call stopping using the fleecy onsie. SOS recommends using only cotton/bamboo bedding (clothes, sheets, mattress protector) as other materials can cause sweating. Plastic backed mattress covers are one of the worst offenders.

15-20 minutes on the playmat is pretty good: that's the same as my DS2. I find if he gets bored giving him something else to do helps (eg put on tummy, put in bouncer, pick him up. Basically changing it up every 15 minutes or so. Your bub seems to sleep quite well at night for 12 weeks.

Do you dreamfeed and use a comforter?

Please try not to worry too much if it's not all totally going to schedule. It's ok to be 60% there.
    Last edited by VicPark; 04-08-2014 at 14:16.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Kea23  (05-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It sounds like you're going quite well, but I would really be trying to work on these day sleeps as what I've found with my 2 is that if you don't get the day sleeps sorted by about 4 months they will start waking at night too.
    Do you have block out blinds on the windows? Maybe it is too light for baby to sleep well during the day.
    I would try to let bub self settle but then when they wake after 20-30 mins I would do whatever normally settles them to resettle and hopefully once they're used to getting more day sleep they will self settle easier and stay asleep longer.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Kea23  (04-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The sleeping bag is a Tog 1.0. Underneath she has a full onesie and a singlet and nappy.
    Last night I put on 4 cotton blankets (doubled over) instead of the others I had been using (think they may have been polyester??). She woke up around 3am and tossed around a bit, made a bit of noise and then went back to sleep. I checked on her and she didn't feel too hot or cold.
    The monitor said it was 23 degrees when I put her to bed. It's a motorola monitor. Not sure how accurate it is. We live in Central Qld so it's not that cold up here in winter.
    She has been sleeping quite well at night. We don't dreamfeed - when we started the routine she was already sleeping through (started as soon as we started giving her infacol - before that she would wake up grunting and trying to pass wind) so we didn't start a dreamfeed - as she says not to if they are already sleeping through.
    I'm not sure how the comforter is supposed to be used? Aren't you supposed to take it away after they are asleep so it's not loose in the cot? If so, how does it help them resettle when they wake up?
    She wriggles around like crazy sometimes when I try and feed her - looking this way and that - especially the final feed before bed - it's really hard to settle her down. A couple of weeks ago she would just drink it down, and go sleepy-eyed and go straight to sleep. I'm not sure why this has changed, but it's frustrating!
    Day sleeps have always been a struggle - I'm just not sure how to improve this. I'm worried as lots of people have told me that babies who don't sleep well during the day start waking up at night as well.
    I just feel like things are deteriorating, not improving.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It sounds like your bub is doing really well at night! Awesome in fact!

Just keep chipping away at the day sleeps and try things bit by bit. Don't worry if things aren't perfect right away.
    - get a second thermometer to double check the temp
    - check all bedding/clothing is cotton/bamboo (including mattress protector).
    - hunger: try giving bub a small top up feed an hour after the day feeds. And feeding in a quiet room (especially the 6:30pm feed: quiet dark bedroom no TV etc). Depending on bubs readiness signs, when solids start (between 4-6 months) hopefully things will improve. My bubs day sleeps improved greatly when we started solids.
    - don't rock/pat/feed to sleep/use a dummy if you can help it
    - if you are comfortable with this: let bub grizzle for a few minutes in the hopes of resettling (always attend an emotional cry)
    - introduce a comforter with your smell (wear it down your bra for a few days). Many people get those 'teddy head' comforters: just put it over your face and see if you can still breathe. If you can it is supposed to be ok for bub. There are comforters on the save our sleep web site. Some people are still paranoid so they clip the comforter to the side of the crib so bub can touch it but not drag it over the face. With my first I was super paranoid so I got a thin breathable muslin cloth, cut it into squares and used these as bubs comforter. Use it with EVERY sleep: pram, car, cot, rocker. I was amazed at how well it worked. I would often spy on my boy and he would be twirling the comforter in his fingers or rubbing it on his cheeks when he was trying to sleep. When bub was about 10 months I was brave enough to introduce him to his teddy head comforter. I just tied the muslin cloth bits to the teddy comforter and now he is Absolutley obsessed with it! Hint: buy at least 2 incase you lose 1. And only give bub the comforter at sleep time so it is an effective sleep cue.
    Last edited by VicPark; 05-08-2014 at 19:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Wow ladies! I'm soooo impressed with how this thread hasn't been derailed. OP, there are some awesome tips here and great summaries of the book.

You're doing such a great job and I truly think you have a good sleeper there!

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    Wow ladies! I'm soooo impressed with how this thread hasn't been derailed. OP, there are some awesome tips here and great summaries of the book.

You're doing such a great job and I truly think you have a good sleeper there!

Good luck.
    You better not jinx it Allie!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    :S please no one ruin this thread! I've subbed to come back to in a couple of months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It sounds like your bub is doing really well at night! Awesome in fact!

Just keep chipping away at the day sleeps and try things bit by bit. Don't worry if things aren't perfect right away.
    - get a second thermometer to double check the temp
    - check all bedding/clothing is cotton/bamboo (including mattress protector).
    - hunger: try giving bub a small top up feed an hour after the day feeds. And feeding in a quiet room (especially the 6:30pm feed: quiet dark bedroom no TV etc). Depending on bubs readiness signs, when solids start (between 4-6 months) hopefully things will improve. My bubs day sleeps improved greatly when we started solids.
    - don't rock/pat/feed to sleep/use a dummy if you can help it
    - if you are comfortable with this: let bub grizzle for a few minutes in the hopes of resettling (always attend an emotional cry)
    - introduce a comforter with your smell (wear it down your bra for a few days). Many people get those 'teddy head' comforters: just put it over your face and see if you can still breathe. If you can it is supposed to be ok for bub. There are comforters on the save our sleep web site. Some people are still paranoid so they clip the comforter to the side of the crib so bub can touch it but not drag it over the face. With my first I was super paranoid so I got a thin breathable muslin cloth, cut it into squares and used these as bubs comforter. Use it with EVERY sleep: pram, car, cot, rocker. I was amazed at how well it worked. I would often spy on my boy and he would be twirling the comforter in his fingers or rubbing it on his cheeks when he was trying to sleep. When bub was about 10 months I was brave enough to introduce him to his teddy head comforter. I just tied the muslin cloth bits to the teddy comforter and now he is Absolutley obsessed with it! Hint: buy at least 2 incase you lose 1. And only give bub the comforter at sleep time so it is an effective sleep cue.
    This! You are doing well, keep trying these tips until things improve for you. Try not to worry about what will happen in the future. I used to do this but you can't predict babies! Just focus on now :-)

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

Kea23  (07-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can I use SOS with my 5 week old? If he's too young, when can I start?

Thanks
    Reviews
    SOS routines can be used from birth. I personally found it a little difficult in the early weeks to implement but by all means give it a go