+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If bub is up and playing from 6:30am this could be why bub is getting tired early. Treat all waking before 7am as a night waking. Feed in the dark, no talking, playing. Change the happy if necessary. Re-wrap bub and put bub back to bed. Don't let dad try and pull faces at bub! Get bub up at 7am or after 20 minutes sleep (eg if bub falls asleep at 6:50).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Try and re-read the section in the book on cat napping. Key causes:
    - hunger
    - cold
    - tired enough to nap, not tired enough to sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with VP regarding transferring bub while asleep- sometimes it maybe neccessary (like if bub falls aleep in car), but it can mess with their little minds waking up in a new spot- think how you would feel if you fell asleep on the couch and woke up in bed and having no idea when or how you got there.

Personally if my babies fall asleep I leave them wherw they are- whether its the swing, playmat or pram. I think it also teaches them to be flexible with sleeping so if you are in a new environment they arent going to fret because they havent got their bed/usual sleeping place. I did this with my older 2 and they will fall asleep any time any where no problems. My 3rd I was more strict amd would only put her to sleep in the cot or bassinet and we have a few issues if we are out somewhere, like when we stay with my family because its not her bed (although she is almost 2 now and slowly getting better). My 4th who is 12 weeks often falls asleep in her swing or on her playmat so I just leave her. If she starts dozing off when im holding her I try to put her in the cot before she falls asleep, if she cracks it I put her in her swing and she nods off.

He + Me = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (May 2014)
    Embrace the chaos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I put ds on the routine from about 4 months and it worked really well for him. When we took him home from the hospital, we were told to keep his room at 18-20deg, but we discovered that wasn't nearly warm enough for him. I would have to be uncomfortably warm in order for ds to be comfortably warm.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I haven't been transferring her to her cot asleep, I just meant that she will go to sleep in other places when she's tired (although usually it's short sleeps - i.e. catnapping). She rarely sleeps right through to 7 - usually wakes up between 5:30 and 6:30. She doesn't cry though - just babbles to herself in her cot for most of the time, then starts getting whingy around 6:30. So should I try to resettle her /feed her at 6:30 even if she's due to be fed at 7am (according to the routine)??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    If it's before 6:30 feed bub ASAP, re-swaddle and put bub back to sleep. If it's after 6:30 try and distract bub until 7. If bub is cracking it (likely if bub has slept through all night!) give a quick feed. Always try and top up at 7am.
    - my 5 month old has started waking around 6am. I give him a quick feed (1 boob as opposed to 2) then try and resettle for a quick power nap. If he falls asleep at 6:50 I get him up at 7:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Can I ask what is bubs room temp and what is bub dressed in?
    - if you're not sure I've found gro-eggs (which you can get on EBay) to be useful.

There is a SOS free bedding guide. I follow the gro-bag guides more, but many find the bedding guide useful
    http://www.saveoursleep.com/wp-conte...ding-guide.pdf

Despite what I've mentioned above (about my boy sleeping until 6am) he woke at 4:30am this morning... I thought wtf you've been sleeping to 6am... ! I checked the gro-egg and it had dropped to 16 (usually around 19). It was so cold outside our heater couldn't keep up. Bub wasn't as toasty warm as what he usually is..

Sorry to go off track.

Is this your first bub or second? How are things going all round?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If it's before 6:30 feed bub ASAP, re-swaddle and put bub back to sleep. If it's after 6:30 try and distract bub until 7. If bub is cracking it (likely if bub has slept through all night!) give a quick feed. Always try and top up at 7am.
    - my 5 month old has started waking around 6am. I give him a quick feed (1 boob as opposed to 2) then try and resettle for a quick power nap. If he falls asleep at 6:50 I get him up at 7:10.
    So give them a quick feed even if they aren't cracking it? If they are just awake?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The baby monitor has a thermometer on it - it's usually between 20 and 24 degrees in her room, but we aren't using any heating/cooling in there at present. usually she is in a nappy and singlet, full onesie and a sleeping bag (have been using the 'swaddle up' ones as she likes to suck on her hands). This is with 2 blankets, or 3 if it's cold.
    I had been using the fuzzy fleece onesies while it was cold but last night I had to change her out of it into a cotton one because she was too hot.
    During the day I often only use 1 blanket, but the rest is the same.
    This is my first bub - so been challenging. We had a bit of a rocky start with feeding issues, then wind issues due to formula, but that seems to have settled now. She has been sleeping through since 9 weeks, but wakes before that 7am mark, usually between 6 and 6:30am we hear her gabbling away.
    In generally she has not been an easy bub. Doesn't like to be left in a swing or on the floor with the play gym for more than 15-20 mins (max - sometimes not for any time at all).
    We have been trying the SOS routine for about 2 weeks, but just haven't been able to get these daytime naps sorted, and I don't think we have been doing the settling routine right - sometimes I'm not able to wait out the 6 minutes, or I convince myself it's emotional crying not protesting when she really gets going. She very rarely settles herself after she starts crying (I think it's happened twice).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    If it's before 6:30. That way they are more likely to go back to sleep for a quick power nap.