+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Temp work

Hi ladies

Has anyone been a temp before and if so did you love it or hate it? And why?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Littleladybug I temped for a number of years when DH and I first got together. It was fantastic as I tend to get bored after about 12 months in the same role so changing it up every couple of weeks / months broke that boredom.
    I had some awesome jobs too. Really different and generally great people. Pay rate was brilliant but obviously no sick pay etc. As I wasn't sure where I wanted to go career wise, it have me a good opportunity to try my hand in all areas of admin until I found the right path for me. I'd definitely give it a go again if I wasn't in full time work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I temped a lot during uni. I loved it, as it gave me freedom to take jobs when I could (and say no when I had exams etc). I did find it hard to break into even with lots of admin experience, so put your name down for all the agencies in your area.

Once you are in and prove yourself to be reliable, you'll keep getting work. It's also easier to get work if you can work full-time as you will get more positions that last for weeks/months rather than days at a time, but I managed part time temping and just had to accept that I wouldn't always get work the days I was free (and did full time during uni holidays).

I was always told I was a "great" temp because I rocked up on time and did the work they asked me to do They do get a lot of temps through that are wasting everyone's time so if you are efficient and also get to work on time you'll have no trouble picking up work.

The pay is great too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did temp work whilst I was looking for a full-time permanent job when I first moved to Melbourne. I LOVED it and actually enjoyed the thrill of waking up in the morning and the phone ringing to tell me where I was going to be working for the day/week. I worked in some really interesting places doing whatever needed doing (which mainly seemed to be reception, admin & data entry work).

I restricted myself to short-term assignments (2 weeks maximum) so that if and when a full-time permanent job came along I'd be ready to start it pretty much straight away. The agency that I went through for temp work ended up being the one that got me an interview for the permanent job of my dreams too (which was never advertised - the agency thought of me when the client mentioned to them that this job had come up and that was it!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thanks ladies, some wonderful responses here. Considering leaving my job to temp until mid next year, I'm really wanting something where i can be a nobody, and take a step back from so much responsibility and stress. What is the money generally like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on the role. I was getting around $21 an hour for reception, more if it was admin (with or without reception), and more again if it was work like data entry or was more complicated (I think I got around $25 an hour for that).

It is great re stress - I also left permanent part time work to temp as I didn't have the responsibility - just went in, did my work, went home. No politics. Loved it and I would do it again if I needed the cash

ETA - the work is really varied - I got work from going into an office once a fortnight to sort out files and file things away for the boss (easy peasy), to sorting out a huge mess that an employee had created with their data entry system. Great for getting some new skills (if you need them) and it keeps things interesting.
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 04-08-2014 at 10:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds perfect for me.

Do you know if you still qualify for PPL being a temp?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I was a temp for a while. I ended up just continually being extended in the role and at the end doing managerial work and systems data analysis including automating all the macros and formating the change over in databases to differant operating systems. They underpayed me significantly (the team I was in were all on 75k+ but I was i was on 21 an hr). Over the time I was in the role, people kept quitting and then the work fell on me to do.

I would never temp again as I was abused and used and went to the ombudsman.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved temping! Like others have said, I got to work for many large and small companies and got paid very well for admin and reception work. No issues here, would love to do it again.