+ Reply to Thread

Default Stuttering

Hi all,

My 2.5 year old DD was an early talker and I was told she has advanced speech for her age however the last four weeks she has developed a stutter which is quite noticeable and I'm a little concerned.

She's very outgoing and quite confident so I don't think nerves are the reason for her stuttering.

Has anyone else gone through this? Should I wait a little to see if it corrects itself before I book her in to see a speech pathologist?

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

At the beach
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My son had developed a stutter by that age. We took him to a speech path who assessed it as quite severe but still told me to wait. It was gone before his 3rd birthday.

She explained that in the past there was early intervention for stuttering but the current thinking is that as the majorly of kids grow out of it intervention was unnecessary until older, and in fact in a small number of cases detrimental as it could make a child aware and self conscious of a problem that he didn't previously even know was there. We had little techniques to help him. When he started to stutter I'd just stop what I was doing if I could and focus on what he was saying and try and get him to slow down the conversation.

But nothing too much. I didn't want to embarrass him about it.

His speech is fine now and no hint of a stutter (he was 3 in March).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

lisa6111  (04-08-2014)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD has been having treatment for a stutter for 6 mths now. My understanding is that stuttering is quite common in young children and often goes away spontaneously. Once it gets to 6-12 mths it is less likely to spontaneously resolve.

The advice we were given in the 'waiting period' was to listen to WHAT is being said not HOW it is being said. Give the child your attention when they are speaking, do not jump in and finish sentences and don't rush their speech. Model clear, slow speech. Essentially, don't draw attention to the stutter at all - ignore it. If our DD was frustrated or upset with the stutter we were told to acknowledge it by saying something like "that was a tricky one" and give a cuddle or other comfort. But otherwise just ignore it.

I would also recommend that if you do see a SP then find someone experienced in stuttering. Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

lisa6111  (04-08-2014)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS1 developed a stutter at around 2.5 (not long after the birth of DS2). I posted a thread on BH, and found it was quite common for that age. I waited a couple of months, and it resolved itself. I tried not to draw attention to it, and just waited for him to get out what he was trying to say (didn't finish his sentences etc). I probably would have looked into it further had it lasted 6 or more months.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

lisa6111  (04-08-2014)

My ds developed a stutter around 2, he was an extremely good talker. My friend who is a speech pathologist told me that it is normal for 2 year olds of advanced speech to have a slight stutter. Basically their mouth can't keep up with their thoughts. It went after a few months and he speaks perfectly now.

As pp said just ignore it and act as though you don't notice it. Drawing attention to it or finishing sentences just makes them frustrated and makes it worse.
    Last edited by Ashfirst; 04-08-2014 at 12:16.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashfirst For This Useful Post:

lisa6111  (04-08-2014)