+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd report them, but if it's a small business he'll probably have to leave after that anyway because I don't think they'll be too happy about it and as a casual they can just stop giving him shifts.
    If it's a large chain company they should be paying award rates and I would go to the regional manager or head office if you can and ask what they expect their staff to be paid. Some franchise owners will just do what they want and the parent company often wouldn't be happy if they knew.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

Molly and her Mum  (04-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The minimum rate is about $7.42 for an under 16 in fast food. Saturday is a 25% penalty. You don't receive Super as an under 18 unless you work more than 30 hours per week. These are all estimates based on award, but there may be another instrument in place in the workplace. Hourly rate in a Saturday should therefore be about $9.30. If a TFN has not been provided, then you are supposed to withhold tax at the top marginal rate of 45%. If this was the case then it is conceivable that the take home rate could be around the $5 mark. You need to ask for a payslip, that needs to be provided within 48hrs, and then after you have all the facts, contact fair work.
    Last edited by Zabella; 03-08-2014 at 18:49.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (03-08-2014),MissMuppet  (04-08-2014),Molly and her Mum  (04-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zabella View Post
    The minimum rate is about $7.42 for an under 16 in fast food. Saturday is a 25% penalty. You don't receive Super as an under 18 unless you work more than 30 hours per week. These are all estimates based on award, but there may be another instrument in place in the workplace. Hourly rate in a Saturday should therefore be about $9.30. If a TFN has not been provided, then you are supposed to withhold tax at the top marginal rate of 45%. If this was the case then it is conceivable that the take home rate could be around the $5 mark. You need to ask for a payslip, that needs to be provided within 48hrs, and then after you have all the facts, contact fair work.
    Yes this is standard.
    Some fast food awards don't include penalty rates though, and one (the one I mentioned above) pays super for all hours worked.
    Ask what award he is employed under as a start, and see what their reaction is!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zabella View Post
    Withholding tax at the top tax level doesn't apply to juniors, or at least it didn't when I was younger. It used to only apply once you turned 18.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are under 18 you don't have to provide a TFN, but you do still have to return the form and claim exemption.

From the tax department website:
    If an employee does not quote their tax file number (TFN), claim an exemption from quoting their TFN on the declaration or provide a declaration at all, you must:
    complete the payee section with all the information you know about them
    send the declaration to us
    withhold at the top marginal rate plus Medicare levy for residents (currently 46.5%) or the top marginal rate for non-residents (currently 45%) from all payments you make to that employee.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/PAYG...-declarations/

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (03-08-2014),Molly and her Mum  (04-08-2014)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    $5 an hour is pretty low

My teen works for a supermarket major - $13 an hour on Saturday, $18 per hour on Sundays plus staff discount >>> all pretty good for a teen really.

I think as a pp said, rates in fast food are lower

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it was 1994. I earned $5 an hour in fast food then. It's not on and I'd leave. After school jobs are not too hard to come by and I wouldn't trust an employer who rips off their workers.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nattherat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think this is a great opportunity for your son to learn about 'working'. If I was you I wouldn't rush in and act like a concerned parent. It makes him less respected by his employer and fellow employees.
    Talk to him about the pay rate and where he can go to find out the correct rate. Let him do it himself and then talk with him about how to approach the employer to have it changed and back paid.
    He is 16 now and needs to learn how things work. If he lets you fix it all for him now (which he can't do when he's 20, 30 or 40!) then he will miss out on learning some of the biggest lessons of being employed: standing up for yourself, knowing what you're worth and communicating with managers/superiors.
    If it doesn't work out in his favour (I.e: the employer turns out to be a douche bag that's paying low off the books) then it's up to him to make the decision to quit, report it or continue on.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LaceyGracie For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (04-08-2014),Ellewood  (04-08-2014),MissMuppet  (04-08-2014),Molly and her Mum  (04-08-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (04-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaceyGracie View Post
    I think this is a great opportunity for your son to learn about 'working'. If I was you I wouldn't rush in and act like a concerned parent. It makes him less respected by his employer and fellow employees.
    Talk to him about the pay rate and where he can go to find out the correct rate. Let him do it himself and then talk with him about how to approach the employer to have it changed and back paid.
    He is 16 now and needs to learn how things work. If he lets you fix it all for him now (which he can't do when he's 20, 30 or 40!) then he will miss out on learning some of the biggest lessons of being employed: standing up for yourself, knowing what you're worth and communicating with managers/superiors.
    If it doesn't work out in his favour (I.e: the employer turns out to be a douche bag that's paying low off the books) then it's up to him to make the decision to quit, report it or continue on.
    I totally agree with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Wasn't pay discussed before starting?
    I don't know how they could get away with paying below minimum wage. Is it cash in hand? If so it makes it a bit hard for you to Dob them in..
    No unfortunately it wasn't. I did ask my son to ask but it thought it was rude to ask. In future I will be encouraging him to ask!